Frequent light bulb burn outs

Without taking numbers (ie using a volt meter), then all answers will be either speculation or solutions to the symptoms. If your line voltage is high, then those failing light bulbs would be symptoms of other (undesirable) problems. If the voltage is not high, then recommendations such as 130 volt bulbs would not be useful. No way around the advantages of first learning those numbers.
Meanwhile, what was the voltage rating of those 55 watt bulbs?
Fred wrote:

10-4. I need to get my hands on a voltmeter.
The volt rating on the 55s is 120

Fred wrote:

My house is ~10 year old. Bulbs installed by lighting contractor were marked commercial duty, 120-130V. In 10 years only one bulb burnt out. We have ~3000 sq. ft. 2 story with lots of bulbs. So find some bulbs like this at your local supply house. Also check your in-house wiring. Make sure everything is tight. Tony
I have this exact problem in a recessed shower light.
The recessed fixtures should have a heat breaker installed on the inside of the can. If there is not enough heat dissipation around the fixture, the heat breaker will trip and prevent power from getting to the light. This is an important safety feature. If you let the fixture cool and cycle the switch the light will come back on it is is not burned out yet.
The NEC specifies what kind of insulation fill you are allowed to have on the outside of different types of recessed fixtures.
Worth noting

This is Turtle.
Light bulbs of to day are trash but you need to get 130 volt rated bulbs and not the 120 volt or 115 volt rated bulbs. 130 volt rated bulbs can be bought but mostly at auto parts houses or electric supply houses. these places call these bulbs Ruff service bulbs and if you look at them and they are not rated for 130 volt service -- they are not ruff service bulbs.
Now off the shelf of stores if you see 130 volt rated light bulbs. They are ruff service light bulbs and will last a long time. 130 volt rated bulbs should last atleast 3 times what a 120 volt rated bulb will last.
now here is why bulbs are burned out so quick lately. the bulbs are rated to operate at 120 volts and most supply voltage to houses now a days is from 122 to 124 volts. your running the bulbs on 124 volt service and they are only rated to operate on 120 volts. Your just over volting the bulbs and wondering what is the problem.
Never over volt a light bulb and ask why it burns out so fast !
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Only you could say something like over volt and get away with it ;) On another note, burned/corroded bases can also cause premature failure. The little brass finger in the middle of the socket can be cleaned with a flate blade screw driver (with the breaker *off* of course). Sorry for borrowing your spelling of flate :)
hvacrmedic

This is Turtle.
i was just not in a 50 cent word mood tonite.
New words to borrow . The Rope was too ''short'' to reach. Or The rope was too ''shirt'' to reach.
TURTLE

Don Klipstein wrote:

Rough service, because of more supoorts, also put out less lumens per watt, in addition to costing more. Not a good idea unless there is a vibration or impacct problem.
Bud--
Don Klipstein wrote:

The bottom line of the economics above is that given the cost of the energy and bulb, use 120V bulbs. 130 volt bulbs are equivalent to long life bulbs; they last longer but produce significantly less light. Long life bulbs are worth using in locations where the bulb is hard to replace.

I seriously doubt that line voltage is 122-124 volts in significant areas of the US.
The OPs 55 watt bulbs probably produce 55 watts worth of light, not 60 watts worth. (I havn't followed the whole thread; this may have been covered.)
Bud--
TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.
I just got my vom simpson 260 out and I have 123 and 124 volts at my computor outlet over about 2 minutes. Yes there is 123 volts out there in the world.
TURTLE

I have used several different voltmeters in quite a few homes in the Philadelphia area, and most were anywhere from 121 to 126 volts. I even got a large number of readings over quite a period of time in a few of these and voltage was a little higher than 120 most of the time.
Then again, with PECO rates, I would worry more about energy efficiency of lightbulbs than about how long they last, even to a greater extent than with electricity at USA average rate.
In some locations, voltages approaching 130 volts have been reported. A location where the primary wires were not sufficient. Line voltage was increased causing some areas to have high voltage during high consumption periods - so that other areas farther downline had minimally sufficient voltage. Eventually the utility rewired those primaries; eliminating the voltage variations. Meantime, higher voltage variations were observed.
The utility recently upped a 4K primary to 33K. This eliminated voltage variations once observed in an adjacent town.
Don Klipstein wrote:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/liteBulb.htm
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair