Frequency of paintingt cedar sidiing

I have been told that cedar siding on houses needs to be painted less often than other siding types.

Is this true? If so, why?

JJ

Reply to
Jones

Yes its true.

Because it's cedar.

Reply to
Matt

*Never* paint cedar. It just creates work. It looks beautiful in its natural state.
Reply to
Clark Griswold

Why use expensive cedar if you are going to paint it? Natural Cedar greys to silver grey. If colour is needed then use something plebian such as vinyl, cement siding or whatever.

Reply to
Terry

Hi, Painting? Why not staining? Who would paint cedar? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just for the record, cedar comes in different thicknesses. The stuff on my previous house was garbage.

Reply to
Art

Agreed, as is redwood. And an added bonus is that they are both *almost* impervious to termites if kept dry....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

In 1973 - I built a Lindal Cedar Home - made completely of two inch cedar planks. It can be seen here -

For the first 30 years - we did absolutely nothing to it - no sealer - no stain - no print - and it weather beautifully.

After 30 years of no stain or paint - we decided in 2003 to have it power washed - sanded - and oil-stained. People that are used to houses that are painted one color love it now. Both ways were nice.

We had the stain job done by a professional - they pressure washed it - sanded it - and applied a coat of Honey 2000 - Woodguard oil stain - and it looks great.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Never pressure wash a soft wood like cedar!!!

Reply to
davefr

Dave - A professional restoration firm that is in business 35 years completely pressure washed my cedar home and barn - before they sanded it and oil stained it. Check out the pictures -

I know you can bore a hole into soft wood with a pressure washer - I have one and have done that. They guys have special fan nozzles and talent - they did it one board at a time. Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

I had my redwood log home pressure washed several times in the 16 years I owned it....as long as they don't get too agresive there is no problem....my .02...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac