Freon recharge for Winter?

I have 2 AC heat pump systems. The one for the upper stair uses a heat pump with electric heat backup. The one for downstairs uses gas. I think both AC's freon are low after the summer, as the air from the vents is not cool as before.
Questions: should I ask AC guys to charge them now, or wait until spring? Are there some kind of annual contract services for this? I am near Baltimore, with BGE as my electric and gas supplies.
Thanks.
Y.

Being a heat pump, and heading into winter, wouldn't you want the machines to work at peak effencies?
I think you know the answer, please share your results with us after you decide. :)
later,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
Not Avaiable wrote:

If the refrigerant is low then your systems are leaking. It doesn't get "used up". Get the leaks fixed.

Why wait until spring? It runs the same in winter as summer only in reverse.