French drain w/ vapor barrier in basement

French drain w/ vapor barrier in basement

Just bought a home w/ a walk out basement. The home is built on hill. The lowest part of basement is finished out. The top part is not. By this I mean as the hill slops away form the first floor, the area with enough room is finished out. Any way, the crawl space doses not have a vapor barrier and where the dirt meets the slab seems to be collecting water.

So I am going to add both a vapor barrier and a French drain. Long story short, I cant find any thing on the web or in a book that tells me if the drain goes over our under the barrier. I would think I want it under, but then I can't figure how to mess with the sump pump.

Any thoughts? Or good Wright up's with diagrams or pictures for the visual learners in the group?

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Under.

The drains drain to a sump, the sump pump goes in the sump.

Any other questions?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I assume you are going to put an internal frencb drain around the inside perimiter of the crawl space. It will stop in a sump and a sump pump will suck out the water. I did that on my previous house. If done correctly, your crawlspace will probably become so dry you will not need the vapor barrier at all based on my experience. Make sure you use a sock over the hose and gravel around it.

Reply to
Arthur Begun

yes, Well a drain on one end of the basement

it like this "Hill \___slab" where the hill touches the slab is to problem, there is about a 6" high water mark, so I need to get the water out. There are not vents, so I think vents and drain. Then barrier if I still need it.

Any more thoughts or tricks?

I really plain on just using gravel, and not using a pipe . . . is that a mistake?

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan