French drain inside basement

I have my basement usually dry. However, in one wall there is about 1" diameter hole from outside made just at the floor level. Then there is very ugly and uneven groove made in concrete floor that goes from the hole along the wall to the sump pump pit that is located near the same floor about 8' away. I never saw water coming out from the hole. However, when we have heavy rain water starts to sip from the groove itself (probably the groove is not seal properly). I am currently finishing my basement and I really don't know how to best address this problem. Although I never saw water coming out of the hole I am afraid of patching and blocking it. If it was maid there was probably a reason and the reason was probably to release hydrostatic pressure from outside the house foundation. But I need to deal somehow with the groove in the concrete floor. Again I don't want to level it with cement as if water ever comes through the hole it will just stay in basement as there will be no way to direct it to sump pump pit. I thought about constructing somewhat like a French Drain just from the hole to the sump pump. I will break a trench in concrete floor from the hole to the pit. I then put probably perforated PVC pipe sloped from the hole to the pit and then pour cement over it to level the floor. So if water comes through the hole it will flow via the sloped pipe to the pit. Does this sound a right plan?
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:15:04 -0400 "Alexander

What's wrong with it?

Why is the pvc perforated, if it will be covered with cement? To collect the seapage?
Regardless, this sounds like an awful lot of work, and I'm not sure what the reason for it is. Because the groove is uneven?
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
I am going to finish the basement, including the floor. Because the groove is uneven I cannot put any floor on it. It also run very close to the wall so I cannot put horizontal stud on the floor. I need to deal with the groove (and the hole) this or that way. I also mentioned that water sips from the groove which is unacceptable.
posted:

very
along
8'
groove
deal
level
in
pit.
and
the

about 1"

there is very

hole along

about 8'

have
the groove

really
water
it was

release
to deal

to level

just stay in

thought
to the

to the pit.

the pit and

through the

a right

Sounds Good to me But I'd call it a Freedom drain

would you like (freedom) fries and an apple pie with that order?