French door lock and key

When I bought my home it came with a french door to exit to the patio. I was told by the previous owner it can only be locked/unlocked from inside.
But after do notice there is a key hole, and you can put a real key in it (means it is not cosmetic), I just don't have the right key and I would want one.
Is it possible to have a locksmith and have him change the lock innards and get a working key and lock for this? I believe It is what is called a 5 bolt system.
Thanks in advance

Remove the lockset, and take it and your other key assuming you want it the same as the your others. Even the box stores have people that can rekey most common cylinders.
Well I don't mind having a different key, I am not sure if it is compatible with my front door lockset brand.
The local locksmith wants $175 to make a key for it, that is if I remove the lockset and bring it to them!

if you take it to home depot, it'll probably cost <$10
Charles Spitzer wrote:

I wouldn't count on much from HD. They couldn't even key a Kwikset entry lock to a specific key number claiming they only knew how to rekey a lock to a random key number.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Oooh, there is the problem...."THE local locksmith".
Sounds like some competition would do wonders for pricing in your locale.
Sounds a lot high. I woulda figured $20 or so. Try a different locksmith.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
jeremy snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Probably cheaper to just buy a new lockset.
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
If you can find a locket to fit. They are quite different than what I've seen any where else.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Christopher A. Young