freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
almosthandy

There is such a thing as a hard start capacitor, for cases where...you guess it...it is hard to start. There are different types of start mechanisms, can't say if a hard start would fit in your application, but its worth a try. You should probably check for continuity between the compressor contacts. And open winding would condemn your machine.

Reply to
nospamtodd

My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay. It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.

Reply to
JimL

Hi,

Model#?

Low voltage, bad start relay, bad compressor can cause the compressor to try to start but shut off on the built in safety overload.

A run capacitor?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Sounds like either a hard start kit will do it, or maybe the compressor is beyond repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
almosthandy

Reply to
almosthandy

Hi Jeff: the model number isffu12c2aw0. Do not know what type capacitor it is listed on the manual (it piggibacks on the controller which connects to the complressor terminals. Thank you.

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Reply to
almosthandy

Reply to
almosthandy

Well, my kenmore/whirlpool book side by side used start overheat relay combo.

"Refrigerator Compressor

2003 Sears Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator made by Frigidaire(Model#25352642300): Not cooling at all, the compressor just humms loud for about 10 seconds, then kicks off on the overload switch. The compressor is locked-up. Compressor kit with start ptc, run capacitor & drier Part#5303918298 "

The above was what I thought was the problem. That is expensive.

Turns out that it was the overheat sensor broken which prevented the start relay from operating. That is cheap.

Mine doesn't use a capacitor at all.

Reply to
JimL