Freezer question, your experience.

Im gonna go PLONK myself, I'm just all plonked up!

Reply to
Jim

PLONK!

What if you only have 40 minutes before your wife Bonnie comes home? (yet another movie reference - I'm on a roll)

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Larry has no clue about this; obviously, neither do you. I'll give you the same advice I gave him: *you* read up on atmospheric pressure. Learn the difference between psig and psia.

Here, I'll help:

Doug Miller

You'd need a gravity scale. lol

Actually you lose it all... if your upright freezer is a 10 cuft model within 2 seconds of opening the door ALL 10 cuft of cold air drops out like it was a lead balloon (minus however much cuft your food occupies).

With a chest freezer in still ambiant air practically zero cuft of air drops out, even if there is no door. Most stupidmarket food freezers/fridges are chest type and have no door... instead they have a fill line and many have add-on deflectors to block air agitation. Food stores are more and more moving away from upright freezer/fridge units.

Reply to
brooklyn1

So what?

Assume the freezer is half full (5 cu ft food, 5 cu ft air). Five cubic feet of food weighs about 250 pounds. Five cubic feet of air weighs about seven ounces.

Do you *really* believe that replacing seven ounces of zero-degree air with seven ounces of room temperature air is going to make *any* noticeable difference in the temperature of two hundred fifty pounds of food???

Reply to
Doug Miller

Guess what? It makes a positively huge difference when that warm air hits the surface of all that stuff that you are trying to keep in as perfect condition as possible for long term storage. The added moisture is another huge benefit.

Reply to
salty

All the freezers and fridges in the isles (100-150 feet long x 4 rows), milk/dairy, and beer (about 80% of the store) are clearly the upright variety (doors and no doors). The only exceptions are the chests in front of the meat displays.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Good thing they have windows so you can see what is inside before you use a sawzall to gain entry.

I prefer freezers with doors wether it is an upright or chest. Makes gaining entry so much easier than the sealed types.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

it's somewhere between an r.c.h. and a metric buttload.

your pal, blake

Reply to
blake murphy

this must be the one home repair problem duct tape can't solve.

your pal, blake

Reply to
blake murphy

Word!

At sea level, moron?

Reply to
Larry

You can't possibly be that stupid. It's an act, right?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Tire pressure gauges measure the difference between the pressure inside the tire and the pressure outside the tire.

Note in particular this sentence: "Psi is often used incorrectly instead of psig."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sorry Larry. I don't know you if anybody asks.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Either way, I'm not overly concerned about cold air escaping - doesn't seem to have any significant real-world effect...

Reply to
Jeßus

That is true, a lot of stuff tends to stay buried at the bottom - if you're not vigilant.

You chopped up your freezer with a chainsaw?!? :p

Yeah, I'm going for an upright next time, but keeping the old chest freezer for emergencies... or for the larger neighbours.

Reply to
Jeßus

I'd wait until the rigor passed, or maybe brine them in the bathtub instead?

Reply to
Jeßus

That's why I always cut them up into smaller portions.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas