Freezer not freezing - any suggestions?

Got a top freezer Amana (approx. 10 years old) that isn't keeping things cold. Icemaker is not working (actually, the ice in the catch tray melted) although the freezer is on its coldest setting and items are not frozen. Anything I can do short of calling a repair shop?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

david snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dave DesRoches

I haven't any idea how to fix it, sorry.

But you are very possibly better off replacing it. Unless it is something simple you can fix yourself with an inexpensive part (and that happens; someone here was kind enough to explain how I could fix my dryer with a $5 part) assume a repair will cost $100, leaving you with a 10 year old fridge that might need another repair next month. Then figure that a new fridge will use half the electricity of your current one. Sadly, it is tough to justify a repair.

Reply to
toller

Try:

or

If you get away cheap, good for you. If you need a fairly expensive repair, it may pay to get a new one that will be more energy efficient and have all new parts and a warranty.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Some common things to check for....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

First, adjusting the controls only works if the fridge or freezer is working. If it's broken, cranking it up won't help.

Is the compressor running?

Is the fridge cold?

Is there ice on the back wall of the freezer?

Is there a fan under the fridge? Is it running?

Is there a fan in the back of the freezer? Is it running?

Is the compressor warm?

Is the compressor cooking hot?

Are the coils under the fridge, or in the back?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon