Freezer leaking water Maytag Model MZD 2766GEW

    Intermittant leaks of water onto floor every 2 - 3 daysunder frezer side of side by side Sudden onset about a week ago. Small puddle. Unit is a about 3 1/2 years old. Service folks say they can't come out to look at unit untiil 3 November. *SWMBO*not amused at delay.
Unit is keeing frozen stuff well frozen, and refrigerator side wrking well in terms of keeping chilled stuff chilled. Plenty of ice from dispenser, and plenty of cold water from dispenser
Pulled unit out from wall and unplugged. Took out shelves. Took off lower and back inside panels . Traced incoming water line from back of unit up to and through entire routing to front water dipenser. No leak I can find. Traced line to icemaker, again no leak I can find. If it were a leat in the water line to the icemaker or the chilled water outlet in the door, I'd expect to see ice forming insde the freezer unit. There is non/
There is a group of refrigerant coils in the rear under the bottom of the freezer. The coils have an ice build up on them A good amount of ice. Ice encases several wires near coils. I'm thinking that probably isn't the way its designed to operate and that this can't be good. The owner's manual, which I have, is useless.
I did find a sort of drain under the coil area and it, too, has water and ice on it. I poured some war tah to melt he ice and gntly cleaned he darin arae with some tips. Doesn't seem clogged. There is a perforated metal plate under the drain area, but cant reach iyt with anything to try to clear ay clogs.
Anybody here got any better ideas of what might be causing he intermittant puddling and the ice build p on the coils and wires.
I vaguely recall a web site for "Harry Homeowner" appliance repairs but haven't saved the URL. I am separately doing a Google search fr that site, but wuld appreciate any pointers to the site.
Please E mail me at jaymclaughlinatyahoodotcom with responses in addition to posting here\\
Thank you in advance.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:
SNIPS

The two web sites I found with "fix it" ideas are
www.applianceguru.com
and
www.applianceaid.com
I think you want to the GES if it's that gorgeous side by side model.
Go to:
http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=MZD2766GES&mfgModelNum=MZD2766GES&fkMfgID=1
It has schematics and parts. This is another one that needs saving!
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

It really sounds minor like a hose that's not connected tightly.
Look for something very minor.
neilyoung_at_heart snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=MZD2766GES&mfgModelNum=MZD2766GES&fkMfgID=1
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

I expect the drain cycle has something to do with it. I expect that is the drain you are describing. The one for the defrost cycle. It runs from the bottom of the coils at the back of the freezer out and then over to a pan under the refrigerator section. You should only see water in the pan after a defrost cycle.
But the ice build up I can't explain. Is that behind the panel at the back of the freezer? Ice would build up there until it goes into a defrost cycle.
Rich256 wrote:

Under panel at bottom f freezer, but effectively in he same kind of area you describe.
> Ice would build up there until it goes into a

From what I've been reading elsewhere, I think that there is a defrost cycle problem and taht something is not defrosting.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

I have a unit just like the one you describe. Probably the same model. Quite a job to remove that back panel. Looks like you have to remove the ice maker first. But looking though the holes at the bottom I can only see the pan that collects the defrosted water and then can see the hose under the refrig.
Difficult when you don't know where the water is coming from. I had a defrost problem with another refrigerator. In that case a big block of ice formed at the bottom of the freezer preventing air flow and it stopped cooling. I had a problem with a leak in the ice maker. Forget just what it was but I think a tube was not lined up properly. That of course would leak only when it was calling for water for the ice maker..
Since you have the freezer apart, defrost the catch pan and drain under the cold coils. Then pull the "kick plate" from the front of the unit. Need to have both doors wide open to do this.
Look for a plastic pan that is about 6 inches wide, and ru ns from front to back. Squirt some water into the drain under the cold coils. The water should end up in the plastic pan. The pan may be already full of water, or the pan may be cracked.
Look for a plstic hose, which goes from the drain into the pan That hose should be connected, and should be draining into the pan, not onto the floor.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I expect that is where the problem is. Remember a leak in the ice maker line would happen only when the ice maker is filling with water. The valve is near the floor on the rear so you need to be in the fill mode to see any leak beyond that point.