Freezer gasket repair

Any chance of doing this? I can't believe it's over $80 for a gasket. My side-by-side has a bad section of gasket at the bottom of the freezer. I'm looking around for gasket by the foot, but otherwise, would it be possible to repair it, maybe by injecting silicon caulk into it? Just a thought... Or does anyone know of a cheaper generic I can find? No luck yet. Also, when I happened to open the fridge today I thought I heard hissing, maybe? I then opened the freezer, and noticed the defrosting coil lighted and saw water dripping and heard it sizzling on it (I presume that's not surprising?) At the time it was to me, as I didn't even know about heater coils to defrost, so quickly unplugged the thing :) But I don't believe the hissing I heard was the water dripping on the hot coil; sounded different. Haven't noticed it again. Possibly occurred just as the defroster was turning on? Any thoughts? Thanks much!

Reply to
albee

I don't know about the defrost problems, but the door gasket can be mended. I fixed one on an dorm size fridge about 15 years ago, it is still in daily use as a drinks fridge. i just replaced the damaged section with G.E. silicone seal (white) and put scotch tape on the body of the fridge where the gasket contacted so it wouldn't bond the door shut, removed it when it dried. I don't think I even turned it off. It is more art than science.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Be sure you use silicone rubber seal, not silicone caulk. Follow Eric's instructions, they sound perfect.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks to both of you

Reply to
LouB

Eric in North TX wrote in news:327b3078-6f18-4099- snipped-for-privacy@m13g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

Scotch tape obviously fine for this one. Just thought I'd toss in that I use waxed paper for many such things.

Reply to
Red Green

Fantastic. Will give it a shot, particularly since it's just one small section that seems to have deteriorated/gotten damaged. The cash for fridges should be out soon, so we were hoping to buy a new one, anyway, and move this to the garage as a spare. Particularly since I can't get the ice maker to work. In fact, I replaced the whole thing and still doesn't work. But that's another story (electrical, I presume). Thanks again!

Reply to
albee

Well, tell us about it, there are experts here on everything!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks; perhaps I'll give it another shot. It's been awhile, but my recollection was that I put a new ice maker in, I have water coming to it, so it was to do with the power to the part that sends the signal to the ice maker, located at the bottom back of the refrigerator? That's when I just got out the plastic ice cube trays, but it is getting old :)

Also, I got the Silicone RTV gasket maker, but just went to WalMart, so only had blue or black. But the damaged part is on the bottom, anyway. Haven't done it yet. Any other tips for making the gasket?

-I presume I should take off all the damaged gasket first, and replace that section with the silicone.

-Since it's on the bottom, do I just need to keep supporting the silicone, pushing it up into the gap with my fingers, until it sets? Or cut a piece of cardboard to hold it up?

-I imagine the silicone doesn't compress as much as the original gasket, so making it the same size wouldn't be right. Do I just leave the door closed to its normal position, so the silicone sets to that exact size, or should I have to door open and make the gasket slightly larger, and will it compress enough to allow a tight closure. I'm thinking that would put too much pressure on the door and it might not form a tight seal at the rest of the gasket.

-I'm over-thinking this, right? :)

Reply to
albee