Freezer freezes, but fridge temp is too high....

Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge? Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats -- "regular" white fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge compartment. I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: can there be a more serious problem if the freezer part is fine, but the fridge part is not? Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be sucked down, recharged, etc. to replace the valve? Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

tia

Reply to
Existential Angst

That is usually a symptom that the freezer air is not venting into the fridge. On some models that can even be the hole in the bottom under the crisper plugged up. (my old Monkey Wards did that) Start by seeing how yours swaps air. Sometimes just unplugging it for a day or so fixes it (defrosts the ice plugging the hole)

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd look for a blocked vent in the fridge section.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'll second that!

Reply to
Dennis

Probably blocked with ice . Seen it before , probably see it again .

Reply to
Snag

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:j5fah5$s3d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The two most common problems are ice in the transfer duct, or pushing food up against the outlet of the duct, so no air flow can occur between the freezer and fridge compartments. That, also, will eventually cause the duct to ice up.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

nnews:j5fah5$s3d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What everyone else said, get an insulated chest, put food in there or at a neighbors, keep the doors wide open while unplugged, let the refrigerator and freeezer and inside the walls thaw out, and then pretend you have a brand new refrigerator. This works for at least

95% of the problem cases reported here.
Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Is the fan running inside? The one circulating cold air.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Solved the problem posted: Found the fan, it works, just ice blockage. Boucou thanks for the clarifications..

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune, but it turns out Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that it's on its way to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major fight..... goodgawd.... you lose fer winnin....

Reply to
Existential Angst

"Existential Angst" fired this volley in news:4e7baed7$0$4345$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

new beer cooler!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

How old is the one you have? A new one may pay for itself pretty quick (couple years) through energy efficiency. I was on the opposite side of that argument - tired of fixing the circa 1964 refrigerator and wanting to get a new one - and found info online to help convince the wife that a new one would use *way* less electricity.

Reply to
Heathcliff

"J. Clarke" wrote

Possible, but a dead evap fan will give the same problem. I've replaced a few over the years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How old is the one you have? A new one may pay for itself pretty quick (couple years) through energy efficiency. I was on the opposite side of that argument - tired of fixing the circa 1964 refrigerator and wanting to get a new one - and found info online to help convince the wife that a new one would use *way* less electricity. ====================================================

Good point. It's old, at LEAST 16 y.o, proly 20++ . Frost free. Looks newer, tho, none of the "rounded corners/edges" of the really old stuff. We are proly going to replace it sooner or later, just hopefully not tomorrow or next week.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yep. But rule of thumb, look for the easiest cheapest problem first.

Reply to
J. Clarke

either the fan is broke or the defrost timer?

usually, the timer.

Reply to
a2rjh

Dat was going to be my next Q.

There is a hose that leads to the outside, obviously a drain of sorts. The water is apparently freezing before it drains.

Turns out there is a baffle between the fan and the "scoop" that directs the air down to fridge part, through a relatively small orifice. That baffle is adjustable, so you can adjust the temp to the fridge via this adjustable wing, as well as via the thermostat. Mebbe if I set it for more air to the fridge, and then lower the thermostat some, I'll get a better balance, and stop the ice dam-ing effect.

This is the first time this has happened in years, might be due to the super-hot humid weather we had for so long in the NE.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Or the bimetal thermo switch . If it goes open the element ain't heatin' . -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag

(...)

Gaaah! Noooo!

The new Maytag, Amana fridges are absolute crap!

on to your functional fridge as long as you can!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston