Freezer disposal question - Quebec

Anybody know what the regulations are for disposal of fridges/freezers in la belle province? Have noticed many in rural areas being used as garbage containers at the end of the laneway to keep out animals.
My problem is is that the unit is too large to bring out of their basement (in-laws). I can cut it up and bring it out but I don't want to contravene any bylaws and incur any fines for them. They live in Shawinigan.
Here in Ontario you have to have the refrigerant pumped out and a special tag attached to the appliance declaring it safe for removal.
Help.

I don't know about Quebec but not more than 30 minutes after unloading an old fridge at the dumpster at work (yes, this is allowed) I learned (literally, publicly announced yesterday) that the CA power company (PG&E) is offering to pay $35 to recycle your fridge and they will come and pick it up. Talk about bad timing, I almost brought it back home.
Call recycling centers in your area or the landfill for rules.
Thanx for the tip. Will check into this.
Ray

in
basement
special