Freezer compressor erratic

I've a 13yr old freezer that's made in germany.It was workin fine until yesterday when the compressor did something funny. Usually, the compressor will switch on , due to the thermostat i think, then off when it reaches the temp required. but now when the compressor switch on, it immediately switches off. There's a tempwarning light that's now constantly turned on. It will occur for quite some time. I also realise that the compressor itself is very hot, you could only put your hand on it for a couple of seconds.. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to repair it
Sounds like the compressor has a locked-rotor, meaning something broke and has stopped it from turning. Rather than start a fire from powering a motor with a locked-rotor (draws many times normal running current), I'd unplug it, and shop for a replacement for the freezer. Your fire-marshal will thank you.
HTH, J