Freeze Proof Outdoor Spigot problem

If the long arm inside is broken, as you open it it unwinds in threads ok and arm takes pressure off valve so water starts dripping out. When you tighten it, broken arm comes together and puts pressure on valve and seals it.

When you replace it make sure you get right size. I have a brick house and mine were too short.

Reply to
Art

How do you get the water on in order to turn it off? Does it mean it was working OK until the last time your turned it off, and now you can not turn it on, the handle spins, but you can feel resistance and no movement when you try to turn it clockwise?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I think he means that when you turn it on the handle never stops turning.The valve opens but the handle does not "top out" and stop.Then when you turn it the other way the threads catch and close the valve.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Of all the years I did plumbing, I never ran across this one. My outdoor freeze proof spigot turns off just fine. But when I turn it on, I could turn it all day. Normally I'd suspect the threads stripped, but if it turns off, that leaves me totally puzzled. How in the heck could it turn off the water yet when I open it, it just keeps turning and turning. I plan to rip it apart soon, but thought I'd see what others say about this. Weird !!!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

PRECISELY !!!!

Sorry if I was not real clear.

It opens and closes, but it used to open something like 6 turns and stop (at full open). Now it just keeps turning after it reaches the fully open position. In other words, it still works, but I dont want to leave it like this very long because I am sure it will get worse. This problem just started a few days ago. Now I need to determine if I need to replace the whole thing or get a part for it.

Thanks for all advice

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I just pulled the stem out. No broken shaft, the threads on the shaft are fine. All I can figure is that the last thread is stripped in the fully open position, on the inside of the faucet. They are not visible, so that is all I can suspect.

The kid that works for me once and awhile seems to think that faucets are muscle builders and I have gotten on his case more than once about making them so tight, I almost had to use a pipe wrench to turn it on a few times. I have a feeling he opened it till it stripped. At least I know it will continue to work till I get a new one. Then I need to get a sign made that says "turn faucet lightly", and place it above them.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff