freeze proof faucets

Good Morning,
I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off the cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs to be replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I Googled freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a leak.
Bonnie in NJ
Bonnie wrote:

Under the cap is a one way vent to allow air in so it will drain. I suggest just turning the water on and off a few times to see if that will free it up so it will function again. I have never had one apart so I don't know if you can do anything there if you do take it apart or even if you can take it apart (well and get it back together :-) )
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
Does it leak when nothing is connected to the faucet? It is probably unavoidable if it leaks from backpressure when a hose is connected. I have 4 including a new one and all leak from backpressure.

I have taken many of them apart. Pretty much the same as any spigot, except for a long shaft. There is a washer in there, just like all faucets, and there is some sort of packing or O ring at the bonnet. Parts should be available. However, if you got 4 of them leaking, check what you are hooking to them. They are not normally troublesome.
Mark

I have 2. One only has a minor leak. the other leaks a lot from under the cap but also a little from around a "seam" that is between the cap and the knob you turn to turn the water on. Again, it only leaks when the water is turned on
Bonnie.
Bonnie wrote:

I have one of these faucets that is doing this. I believe that the plastic cap is a "blow off" in the case that you leave a hose connected to the faucet when it freezes and the line can't get cleared. Even though these are supposed to be freeze proof faucets, that only counts if you disconnect the hose . . . FWIW, I haven't tried rebuilding the one of mine that froze - I just built a deck over it.
-K2

It has only been leaking this season. I don't want it leaking since I prefer to leave the water "on" so I can have the timer on to water the lawn and plants.