Freeze proof faucet needs repair

I have a freeze proof faucet on my house that leaks back through the shaft at the handle. I replaced the rubber seal at the other end. That isn't the problem. It's the packing but I was told the packing in these faucets can't be replaced because they are pre-formed. Any thoughts on this? Can I leave the old packing in place and wrap additional new around the shaft and tighten it down?
have you tried just snugging the nut down on the packing? if that doesnt work adding some packing may do it. isnt the packing just a rubber washer? if so,you should be able to get a replaement lucas