freestanding bathroom sink basin

We are at the tail end of a bathroom remodeling project. We decided to use the the IKEA freestanding sink basins, which sit on legs. The basins are relatively easy to put together, but the one ? I have is how to secure them to the wall? If anybody has bought anything from IKEA, they know the instructions are overly simplistic (no words, and a cartoon figure showing you what to do).

At the back of the basin are brackets with silver dollar sized holes you are suppose to screw a screw through to the wall. (At least that is what I'm assuming. The instructions are a bit unclear, and the screws for this particular task are not included with the basin). The problem is, the brackets are not located near a stud. What should I use to secure the basin to the wall. Dry wall screws? Anchors?

Reply to
JK

Any kind of wallboard anchor you use will pull out sooner or later.

The correct way is to provide a wooden brace between the studs to screw the basin into.

If this would create a problem in the bath (tile on wall, etc.), is it possible to open the wall on the *other* side to stick a brace in?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

They assume you use either screws (if there is framing) or toggle bolts (if there isn't). As an alternative, when you build the cabinet, or even after, put a 1x3 or 1x4 ledger at the top of the cabinet, before you put the top on. You can use this with screws if there is framing outside the range of the cabinet holes. Shim the cabinet if the wall is bowed.

Reply to
Charles Bishop