Free standing deck

Want to construct 12' X 16' second story free standing deck to masonry home. Contractor doesn't think free standing is safe. Any pros, cons, advice?

Reply to
riverhome

If you are talking about some 4x4's sitting on concrete footings I would agree with contractor...if you are talking about 8 x8's sunk 4 feet in the ground and cross laced that would be different. More info is really needed here. JFF

Reply to
John F.

Ask the local building dept. Just about anywhere in the US, you'd need a permit to build this, so that would be a good place to ask.

Reply to
trader4
8 X 8 sunk 4 feet. 12' next to home extending out 16'. I'm the wife, my husband can talk more intelligently about this, but we would like not to drill/break into exterior walls. That's why we thought free standing deck. Cross lacing -- how without obstructing basement door? We can cross lace on south side (opposite basement door) and west side without any problem.
Reply to
riverhome