Free standing deck

Want to construct 12' X 16' second story free standing deck to masonry home. Contractor doesn't think free standing is safe. Any pros, cons, advice?

If you are talking about some 4x4's sitting on concrete footings I would agree with contractor...if you are talking about 8 x8's sunk 4 feet in the ground and cross laced that would be different. More info is really needed here. JFF

8 X 8 sunk 4 feet. 12' next to home extending out 16'. I'm the wife, my husband can talk more intelligently about this, but we would like not to drill/break into exterior walls. That's why we thought free standing deck. Cross lacing -- how without obstructing basement door? We can cross lace on south side (opposite basement door) and west side without any problem.
riverhome wrote:

Ask the local building dept. Just about anywhere in the US, you'd need a permit to build this, so that would be a good place to ask.