Free power

Starting another thread off the power factor thread. You can get free power if you steal it.
I heard a war story on the job where an electrician wired his AC ahead of the meter by putting a C type fitting in the conduit in his attic. He also wired a relay across the load side of the meter where, if the power company pulled the meter, the relay would drop out causing the AC to stop.
I am not suggesting anyone steal power. I am just repeating a war story for my entertainment, in case I am the only one interested.

When you steal power from the light company, you are really stealing it from your neighbors. Since the power company will charge rates which allow it to profit on the amount of electricity it generates, if their receivables go down, they must increase rates accordingly.
JoeG

My brother moved into a house where the previous owner had tapped the HVAC before the meter. He had lived in the house about 15 years when he discoverd it during an HVAC replacement.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Should have kept his mouth shut. Now it's costing him.