Free antivirus recommendations ?

My isp, Comcast, offers Norton for free. They had started with McAfee but I found it bloated and switched to free Avast. Had some problems with it and went to Norton when Comcast offered it.

These AV's must compete with each other and constantly try to do better.

Reply to
Frank

i give up, you win

[life is too short]

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Per Stormin Mormon:

I swear by it - OTOH, I probably don't know enough to hold an informed opinion.... but I switched to Avast years ago when the paid anti-virus I was using became excessively intrusive.

Only infection I have had under Avast was when my macho son-in-law "OK'd" through Avast's dire warning screen and just *had* to open some attachment-or-another...... So the only thing on my Avast wish list is the ability to set it up on somebody's machine so they simply cannot dismiss warnings and go ahead with whatever the warning was against.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Not free but I've been happy with Kaspersky. You want to defeat Russian hackers, hire a Russian.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't use an AV product (only one "exposed" machine and we are pretty aggressive about watching where we go and what we do, online, attachments, etc).

But, from time to time, I will "retire" the disk and set it aside "as is". Some time later, I will download the latest "free" AVG and scan the retired disk: was anything lurking there that we should have been wary of? do we need to rethink our on-line habits?

This eliminates the performance hit of the AV product. And, the cost and inconvenience of keeping it current (the time between retiring the disk and checking it is intended to allow the AV folks to discover any exploits that might have crept onto the system the day it was retired).

Some time ago, I built an imaging tool that lets me create custom "restore images" for the laptops I build for nonprofits. This allows the user to just restore the system to its initial state in a matter of minutes. (In case of infection, or if they just screw things up during the normal course of operation)

I'll eventually get around to setting up this machine similarly. And, just keep a thumb drive for those things that I want to "preserve" when I restore the drive...

Reply to
Don Y

On Tue, 17 May 2016 15:03:30 -0500, "Terry Coombs" wrote in

Let us know what you think of Avira when you finish testing.

Reply to
CRNG