Free antivirus recommendations ?

Page 2 of 2
On 05/17/2016 08:32 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Why does it have to be free? Are you an Obamacrat?
Dick wrote:

Nope , I just balk at paying a renewal fee annually for a roduct that I can get for free - that does all the same things , I just have to tell it when . Automatic everything is the Obamaway ... why lift a finger when you can get it done with no effort ?
--
Snag

| Why does it have to be free?
They're pretty much all free. It's their business model: Offer it free for personal use as a loss leader, to get market share, then charge businesses.
You may not have noticed, but most software can be had free these days. Often the best is the free version. It's just the way the market has gone. I've paid for my disk imaging/partitioning tool, BootIt. I think it's well worth the price. I've also paid for Paint Shop Pro. Most other things I get for free. In many cases the alternative paid software is grossly overpriced, such as MS Office, Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat.
Recently I was looking for software to edit videos. I had a video taken with an iPhone. I wanted to shrink it, rotate it and save it in a different format. After a couple of hours finding software that didn't work or that cost $400+, I found Avidemux. It's free, very sophisticated, and did all I wanted easily. So why pay $400? If the other companies were charging more like $40 then maybe Avidemux wouldn't have been necessary.
On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 4:43:20 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Show us where you can buy McAfee or Norton for free for personal use. Certainly not from them or through any of the retail outlets. There are people selling it on Ebay, through some questionable method, probably including getting what's supposed to be an OEM license and then retailing it. I've also seen it sold where it came bundled with a new PC and they are unbundling it. The only way I know you can get either of those for free is by buying it on a new PC where it's bundled in.

On 5/17/2016 6:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My isp, Comcast, offers Norton for free. They had started with McAfee but I found it bloated and switched to free Avast. Had some problems with it and went to Norton when Comcast offered it.
These AV's must compete with each other and constantly try to do better.
On 05/17/2016 08:32 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Not free but I've been happy with Kaspersky. You want to defeat Russian hackers, hire a Russian.
On 5/17/2016 7:32 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I don't use an AV product (only one "exposed" machine and we are pretty aggressive about watching where we go and what we do, online, attachments, etc).
But, from time to time, I will "retire" the disk and set it aside "as is". Some time later, I will download the latest "free" AVG and scan the retired disk: was anything lurking there that we should have been wary of? do we need to rethink our on-line habits?
This eliminates the performance hit of the AV product. And, the cost and inconvenience of keeping it current (the time between retiring the disk and checking it is intended to allow the AV folks to discover any exploits that might have crept onto the system the day it was retired).
Some time ago, I built an imaging tool that lets me create custom "restore images" for the laptops I build for nonprofits. This allows the user to just restore the system to its initial state in a matter of minutes. (In case of infection, or if they just screw things up during the normal course of operation)
I'll eventually get around to setting up this machine similarly. And, just keep a thumb drive for those things that I want to "preserve" when I restore the drive...