Frazee Paint

In mid-southern California, Nevada, northern Mexico and Arizona, there is a "local" brand of paint: the Frazee brand. I grew up using Sherwin Williams, Cooks, P&L, Dutch Boy and the other big-name paints and shied away from the "local" stuff.

We had our home interior repainted in 2004, and the contractor used Frazee paint instead of the Sherwin Williams I had wanted. It's a long story, but it came out all right. Because of some mobility problems in the family, a family member uses a walker to get about inside the house. There is quite a bit of banging into corners, rubbing on walls, hands on walls for stability, cutting corners in doorways etc., and that causes me to touch up the nicks and dings every year and we also find it's necessary to scrub the "hand-on-wall-for-stability" paths each year or even semiannually. What I found is that the Frazee paint holds up as well or better than any paint I've used in the past.

Today, I made the rounds with my 2" brush and a bit of paint in a baggie for touch up. This included gloss areas in baths and the kitchen, semi gloss on hallway walls and flat in rooms. I have pretty good eyes and I swear I can't find the areas I touched up. IMHO, that points very well to stability of the paint and its holding the color well. There are some hallways where the 2004 paint job has been washed over ten times to remove the hand tracks, and while it's beginning to show its age, I could roll a

3' wide track down the hallway walls, feather the edges and you'd never know it had been spot repainted. Incredible.

To me, the acid test was a steel door between a hallway and garage. On the garage side, the door had accumulated many marks from coming and going, plus the walker, plus the grandkids. I washed it well with 409, then gave it a very light sanding to take out any little bumps. I spotted in the dark rub marks and let it dry for a half hour, then simply painted the door, pulling instead of rolling. I swear the door looks new. Again, that's a darn good paint IMHO. For anyone in the SW part of the country, I heartily recommend Frazee Paint.

Reply to
Nonny

"Frazee paint" is a CA based company( or was ). In NV, I still don't use this paint...just me!

Reply to
Oren

On 3/27/2010 10:48 AM Nonny spake thus:

[snip story & recommendation]

I've seen Frazee paint stores up here in the S.F. Beige Area too.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

My experience has been that local small paint manufacturers in various locations I've been have had products that performed very well as well. Don't know the one above, and it's been 30 years since was there so don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T Davis Co made very fine products when we were there under several of their own brands as well as some manufacturing for some of the "name" brands.

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

Well, got curious enough to look and indeed they are...

No detail on their early corporate history; it appears that current ownership has passed from the Davis family that it was when were there and they've expanded by buying a couple of other outfits; one in MN and another in OK on the industrial side primarily while the paint manufacturing in Lynchburg is still concentrated regionally...

Reply to
dpb

Having lived in NC for many years, I know the name well and used it on the interior of my house on occasions. I looked at their site and do not see any dealers in MO. While I'm retired, I "think" I remember a Davis Paint dealer in my home town of Marshall MO. I may be wrong on that, but I'd bet a quarter or so that there was a Davis Paint store in Marshall. My FIL owned a lumber yard there and sold Cook's paint. In fact, he also was a distributor of it to several other stores in central MO. When my wife and I built our home in Fort Wayne IN, he shipped us a partial pallet of all the paint we needed to do the interior and exterior. It was an unusual and very handy gift.

Reply to
Nonny

Couldn't say; it's certainly possible they had some distribution further west at some point...we were in the Oak Ridge, TN, area after Lynchburg and afaik there was never any outlet for them in E TN, somewhat surprisingly I thought.

I have fond affinity for the name as as a young pup out of school when got to Lynchburg got interested in w-working owing to the abundance of cheap quality hardwoods that had never had access to being from SW KS. First shop was in basement of the Davis Paint retail store in downtown Lynchburg in conjunction w/ another fellow who had started making the decorating plaques as a sidelight while going to school and selling them thru the store. Mr Davis saw an opportunity and set him up a shop and I met him answering an ad for his initial small shaper and jointer he was selling as he tooled up for production and we hit it off.

Fond memories of ages gone by... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Speaking of ages gone by, does anyone recall any information about a paint company called Rinsead-Mason (not quite sure about the spelling of the first word). It was primarily an industrial paint company supplying the automobile repair services. My father used it exclusively in his auto body shop in the '50s.

Reply to
EXT

EXT wrote: ...

Rinshed-Mason (Detroit)

Now goes as RM Paint and has been part of BASF for some time (20/30 years or more it seems??? -- anyways, it's been awhile.)

Well let's see what mr g can find--ok, yeah, here...

--

Reply to
dpb