Franklin fireplace experiences?

Hi all,
I bought an older cast iron franklin fireplace for my new cottage. It was a bit of an impulse buy. I realize that for heating, an airtight is the only way to go, but the snap crackle pop effect of a fireplace is hard to beat.
The roof is 12/12 pitch with cathedral ceiling and I plan to put the insulated chimney up above the peak to ensure good draft.
Anyone have experience with a franklin? Do they work well?
Any suggestings how to make a nice but reasonably easy to build hearth?
Thanks, John
John van Gurp wrote:

Keep in mind that heat rises and you absolutely must have a cieling fan at the peak, maybe even thermostatically controlled.

Grew up with parlor stoves years ago. They work fine but need lots of TLC. The chimney fire and creosote specter is always prsent, so plan accordingly.

Find a store that sells granite countertops and negociate for sdome cut-offs or rejects of sutable size. Don't pay the $ per square foot that countertops go for...remember you're just buying some rock to put under a stove. Standard tiling tchniques ought to do just fine. HTH
Joe
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe wrote:

Yup this is in my plans, although I am half-way thinking of some kind of rigid pipe with internal fan so I can pull heat from the very peak and then either redistribute it at floor level or dump it outside.

Thanks for the tips! John

In towns, any fireplace or stove must conform to the current building code, sometimes by a WETT- licensed installer. The provincial fire safety code (5 to 15 pages for "solid fuel appliances") is also full of practical information to do the job yourself (hearth, spacing for clearances, chimney collar etc.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Don Phillipson wrote:

We're well outside any boundaries of civilization but I plan to follow or exceed code for clearances.
Cheers, John