Framing nail gun question

Just when I thought I educated myself on framing nail guns, along comes something I didn't know about the nails. I realized different guns accept specific types of collated nails. Now, I'm confused what to get to avoid having something which will have hard to find nails.

I know for sure I want a round head nailer but do I get the wire collated, plastic collated or paper tape collated nails? What about the angle of the nails. Do I get 28 degree, 30 degree, 34 degree, etc? I want to make sure I have brand varieties with availability at most hardware stores.

Can someone shed some more light on the best option?

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

If you get a gun that takes Hitachi/Senco nails you will have no problem finding them. I got that from a framer and I took his advice and got Hitachi guns. I can find nails at HD/Lowes in addition to any fastener place.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you really want a framing gun

get a Hitachi NR83A (or NR90)

83 is more common but 90 shoots larger nails

I've have an NR83A since the late 80's and its worked fine for me. Done more shear walls & floors than framing with it however.

Shoot full round head nails plastic strip collation.

I've also used Senco full round head framing gun (dont remember the model number) ...same nails are NR83A

I think the NR83A is a 22 deg? naiiler

check this out

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I was actually looking at the Hitachi guns but the one I like required the "plastic collated nails" and the others were paper tape or wired. Therefore, I thought, "oh oh, it will be tough to find plastic collated since this seems to be the only one which accepts plastic."

Reply to
SBH

If you really want a framing gun

get a Hitachi NR83A (or NR90)

83 is more common but 90 shoots larger nails

I've have an NR83A since the late 80's and its worked fine for me. Done more shear walls & floors than framing with it however.

Shoot full round head nails plastic strip collation.

I've also used Senco full round head framing gun (dont remember the model number) ...same nails are NR83A

I think the NR83A is a 22 deg? naiiler

check this out

cheers Bob

Thank you. I'll read the reviews.

Reply to
SBH

I have a Senco thats 20 years old and still have no problems getting nails or repair kits.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Senco tools and nails have been my choice for some years. Their ring shank nails are the best IMO for sheathing. They also have a lot of specialty nails for uncommon projects. Best of all, American made and a superior product backed by great customer service. And fast shipping to my local lumber yard.

Joe

Reply to
Joe