Framing for Shed

Hi all,

I was working on a design for a 16x20ft shed. It will be basic light frame construction (SPF 2x6 walls, OSB sheathed, 12/12 pitch hip roof with asphault shingles).

I would like to have more space for a second floor attic by using longer studs and balloon framing the second floor (and extending the exterior wall up a few feet more). This would give me extra space by not having to build a knee wall (i.e. the exterior wall would be about

3 or 4 feet above the second floor).

If I collar-tie all the rafters and use a double 2x6 top plate, will it be enough to resists the push of the rafters against the exterior walls? Can you find straight enough 14-16ft 2x6 studs (non-engineered) to do this?

Thanks, Budman

Reply to
Budman

Hip-roof means you don't have any gables, just a sloping roof coming up from each side with, in your case, a 4' ridge in the middle. Are you sure you don't mean a gable-roof? Actually, what you're talking about sounds like a saltbox, to me.

collar-ties should do it, yes.

You're panning on doing something like this:

right? Where are you planning on putting the doubled top-plate(s)?

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Goedjn,

I'm talking about a symmetrical hip roof (your right about the 4 foot ridge). Doubled top plates would be at the top of the studs and under the rafter seats about 14-16 feet from the first floor (it would be like this on all 4 sides).

Thanks, Budman

Reply to
Budman

Yes, it will do the job. The ceiling joists will act as ties for the

4' center section.

As for the 14-16ft studs, you will be okay IF the lumber yard permits picking through their stock. You aren't going to find perfectly straight ones though any more than you will find perfect 8 footers. You'll need about 40 of them with 2ft stud spacing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

IF the lumberyard permits you to pick throu? for the price of a 14 or 16' 2x you can bet im picking throu. you dig hard enough, you will find the straight ones.

Reply to
I R Baboon