Framing : Beginner.

Hello, Started doing the basement. I have a couple of wall runs that are 24 ft. I am building the wall in-place. For the top and bottom plates, can I use 3 2x4x8's, or should I get the longest plates available i.e. 2 12's or a 16 and and 8'. What are the general rules ?? It seems the longer the lumber, the harder it is to get one that is dead straight. Thank you.
jack wrote:

the cap into the ceiling joists above. Try to get the end joints of the cap centered above a stud or centered on a ceiling joist where they can both be nailed so the end joints are not floating in air.

Use what is easiest to handle for your use. They do run out a bit so you may want to have someone hold the opposite end while you put a nail in place.
If you were framing an outside bearing wall, you'd what to use as long as possible.