Framing : Beginner.

Hello, Started doing the basement. I have a couple of wall runs that are 24 ft. I am building the wall in-place. For the top and bottom plates, can I use 3

2x4x8's, or should I get the longest plates available i.e. 2 12's or a 16 and and 8'. What are the general rules ?? It seems the longer the lumber, the harder it is to get one that is dead straight. Thank you.
Reply to
jack

You can 8 footers. It's not a bearing wall. I assume you will be nailing the cap into the ceiling joists above. Try to get the end joints of the cap centered above a stud or centered on a ceiling joist where they can both be nailed so the end joints are not floating in air.

Reply to
willshak

Use what is easiest to handle for your use. They do run out a bit so you may want to have someone hold the opposite end while you put a nail in place.

If you were framing an outside bearing wall, you'd what to use as long as possible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski