framing around ductwork: before/after pics

A few weeks ago I asked advice on framing around my ductwork in a room I am renovating in my basement. I originally was going to leave the ductwork as is, but after some thought I decided to tackle it. I used metal tracks and studs and I think it came out pretty good. http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/BeforeAfterDuctwork?feat=directlink

Nice job - How many hours did it take?

Nice job - How many hours did it take?
Ditto.....

I only work in the basement a few hours a day, with the exception if I take a day off from work, so I think the framing took me about 2 1/2 days total. Mind you I don't do this kind of stuff everyday. I still have to put 2 small access doors for the damper controls.

Nicely done. Every time you look at it you'll feel good about the job.
cheers Bob

*Excellent job! What did you do with the two 12/2 Romex cables that were spliced without a junction box?

Those 2 cables were in that joist bay for 2- 4" hi-hats. Because that joist bay was only 5 " wide, I could only put in the 4" old work hi- hats. If you look at the "after" pictures you can see the 4" hi-hats next to the conventional 6" hi-hats. I wanted as much light in that room as possible. The 6" hi-hats close to the wall were not a problem, but more to the middle of the room, one joist bay had a duct running in it, so that was my only other option, the 4" hi-hats.

Those 2 cables were in that joist bay for 2- 4" hi-hats. Because that joist bay was only 5 " wide, I could only put in the 4" old work hi- hats. If you look at the "after" pictures you can see the 4" hi-hats next to the conventional 6" hi-hats. I wanted as much light in that room as possible. The 6" hi-hats close to the wall were not a problem, but more to the middle of the room, one joist bay had a duct running in it, so that was my only other option, the 4" hi-hats.
*I think that you did a nice job especially considering what you had to work around. I was just concerned that you may have buried those splices in the ceiling.