Framing a non-load wall

Framing a non-load-bearing wall with 1 doorway.

Questions:

  1. Existing room has sheet rock on ceiling. Do I strip off the rock where the top plate attaches to the joists? Or do I just nail through the rock?

  1. Intersecting corners: one of the walls uses 2 studs separated with short pieces of 2x4 (effectively three 2x4's thick)? End of other wall has just one stud that nails into this 3-stud block?

  2. Door header: king stud and jack stud on either side of doorway? One top plate 2x4 at top of doorway? Will simply using a header made from two 2x4's over this plate with cripple studs above be sufficient? Overkill?

  1. Rough opening: what is the size of the rough opening for a 28-inch door? Every web site I looked at says "measure the door and frame". Isn't there a standard measurement (give or take shim space) for a door of this size?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Once the wall is up, what's the technique for joining the wall's new sheet rock to the existing ceiling's "cottage cheese" surface? Do I just slather lots of joint compound over the cottage cheese and tape it? Or do I scrape off the cheese texture before compounding and taping the joint?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Yes.

If I understand correctly, that will be fine.

Yes. It's actually easier to build it that way, and you minimize wall movement when the door gets slammed.

At the very least, I would use 2x4s on edge with a 7/16" spacer (OSB) in between.

Generally add 2" to the width, 1" to the height, unless you're using a thick threshold.

Reply to
Mark

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:21:45 -0700, Mark wrote (in article ):

What's "OSB"?

So, 32 wide by (whatever door height is plus 1)?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

wall's new sheet

I just slather

Or do I scrape

joint?

Unless you want to redo the entire ceiling to match the goop job you just leave it alone. You run the new sheet rock up to withing 1/4 of the existing ceiling and finish the edge with tape or an aluminum strip or whatever but you dont touch the cieling at all.

The proper way to attach the new wall would be directly to the studs above cutting the sheetrock away the width of the 2x4 top plate... if you dont do that though, and just use long deck screws into the joists above, "its not going to go anywhere" depends on the quality of the entire house and project. ITs not proper though to face up against the sheet rock.. its not structural material.

On the google search thing. Its like this. You can do a google search and I can do a google search using different search terms, and a different tab..say for instance I might be be searching the 'web' tab..and yer software might be defaulting to the 'news' tab ....so yer search would bring up diddly on most house building issues..... and one of us will do better than the other.... when someone gives you a link they found themselves that addresses the issue ...be grateful.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

do a google, dont be so lazy. or just hire a pro to do the work. get with the program.

see link below, keywords: What's "OSB"?

mg

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:06:58 -0700, Phil Scott wrote (in article ):

So, cut the ceiling "clean", and tape / mud the wall up close to -- but not onto -- the ceiling.

OK, thanks.

It's like this: I appreciate a link to a page that someone thinks will help me get the job done. I don't appreciate being told to "google this". That gives me thousands of hits, and I'm not qualified to be able to chose the right one (or I wouldn't be asking the question here).

I can google. I need help reducing those to a useable few web pages, so I ask here. I need *specific* references to a solution, based on others' experience, not thousands.

(Maybe I should change the sig to say "No 'Google this' replies, please..." or such.)

Reply to
DaveC

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:21:45 -0700, Mark wrote (in article ):

Oh, you mean "chip board"!

Reply to
DaveC

DaveC wrote in news:0001HW.BD1FF53F0077F7E5F02845B0 @news.individual.net:

30 inches wide

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:28:19 -0700, Brad Bruce wrote (in article ):

Oops, 28 plus 2 inches, not 2 inches on each side (as I had read it...)

("Cut once, measure... dang!")

Reply to
DaveC

28 +2 =30

randy

Reply to
xrongor

? Thanks, ? -- ? Please, no Google links. I wouldn't ask a ? question here if I hadn't done that already.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

? > At the very least, I would use 2x4s on edge with a 7/16" ? > spacer (OSB) in between. ? ? Oh, you mean "chip board"!

OSB is many things, but it's not chip board.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

Nail through the rock. You, or the next owner, might want to remove the wall. It is easier to fill nail or screw holes than to replace pieces of sheetrock. Use screws. They are easier to remove without damaging the sheetrock. This is not a support wall, so the nails or screws are to prevent the wall from being knocked over.

Yes. This is to provide ouside and inside nailers for the sheetrock.

A single 2 x 4 laid flat will suffice. You don't need double headers or cripple studs, since they do not support anything. We're talking about a

28" door, there is no need for additional sheetrock nailers above the door. The piece of sheetrock above the door will be no more than 30" x 12", much smaller than the 8' x 16' between the wall studs.

The general rule is 1" on each side and 1" on the top. This depends upon the plumb of the framing studs. If they are extremely out of plumb, then you may need more spacing for shims to get the door plumb. The door jambs are usually 3/4", therefore you have to allow for that 3/4" plus at least 1/4" for shimming to make it plumb, this means that for a 28" pre-hung door, you need at least a 30" wide by 81" high rough opening.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Oriented strand board.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Hot Damn!!!!

8 foot by 16 foot BETWEEN wall studs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down said the wolf to the tree little piggies

Reply to
Tony Mugno

Sorry, forgot to hit the Shift key, but you knew that.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Yes I did I was just tweakin yer nose

Actually maybe you have some advice for me. Im looking for a light weight device for fastening metal studs. Preferably powered, either criming pr "spot welding" I have a 3000 sf house with no internal load bearing walls so all will be metal studs. Im doing the construction myself so I need something that wont make my arm fall off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Tony Mugno

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:44:09 -0700, Tony Mugno wrote (in article ):

Please ask your question by starting a new thread. You do this by not replying to another posting, but create a new one.

It's "netiquette" to not intrude on a thread by asking another question. This diverts the readers from the original question.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

):

for a light weight

either criming pr

load bearing walls

myself so I need

this by not

another question. This

I dave... this is yer buddy phil.... you do realize of course that you have a hard case of cranial rectal inversion going on... no?

Reply to
Phil Scott