framing a 45 degree pantry wall... suggestions... ?

Hi, all.

I'm adding a pantry to an existing kitchen, so I'm framing some non-structural partition walls, and then drywalling them. Essentially, I'll end up with a neo-angle pantry, and I'd like the door in the angled wall.

When I got around to framing it in, I ran into a problem. I'm using

2x4s for the walls, but when I go to install the angled wall, the angled cuts in my 2x4 plate end up being wider than the other two walls.

To hang drywall, do I just build up those two walls (the difference is about 1 1/4") with plywood, or is there a simple solution that I'm missing?

Funny, I've never encountered this before. I've attached about the worst drawing ever produced in a newsgroup.

I I I (inside pantry) I I / / / / (door will go here, but this angled wall is thicker where it meets the other wall) / __________ /

Thanks.

Reply to
maurice

Well, you should of course do whatever is easiest and looks reasonably good and won't cause trouble down the road with other things.

But really, the walls should all just be standard thickness. Instead of ending one 2x4 plate with and angle and butting it up against another

2x4 plate with a square cut, you are supposed to cut *both* plates, like this (which might rival your drawing for lameness):

_____ /\\ ___/ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\

Or like this, _____ \\ ______\\ \\ \\ \\ \\

maurice wrote:

Reply to
kevin

(snip)

You won't have any problem if you miter each plate (22.5 deg) where they intersect. (assuming you have a 45 deg intersection). Easiest way to see this is to draw some lines on the floor.

To anticipate your next post, yes you rip a 2x4 to make a solid outside corner.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Of course these suggestions make perfect sense, ignoring the reality that I built and installed both walls before starting on the angled wall. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a "measure once, cut twice" kind of person. Funny, but before I started the job, I had intended to cut the angles in, but completely neglected to think when I actually started work.

Am I ask> maurice wrote:

Reply to
maurice

maurice wrote: (snip)

It won't be a problem for the inside corner. You will, however, want to make sure you have solid backing behind the drywall on the outside corner.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

I agree, I'll rip a 2x4 to match the angle to support the drywall.

Thanks for the advice. Just one of those days, I guess.

Maurice

Reply to
maurice