Four socket in old house not powering devices

Page 2 of 2

You don't have a wire cutters? Cut them, discard the cheap receptacle and replace it with spec-grade.
On 1/29/2016 11:00 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Might work, if there is enough wire in the wall. At present, looks like I'll be taking out some steel pipe section of wire, and put in new Romex, so I should have some wire to work with.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:41:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Being one of Story's friends more likelu back-clamp outlets and they didn't take the insulation off the wires.
And 15 amp circuits for 15 amp outlets are still VERY common.
On 1/28/2016 10:41 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Ah, well. So the last guy used the wrong wire gage.
What I found was in between the socket romex and the romex at the panel is about 40 feet of metal pipe, with two conductors which are probably cloth wrap. Certainly, they are ancient. The metal pipe acts as the ground. Not very efffectively so.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Orange is 10 ga
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:51:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not always. There is still no mandated standard for cable sheath colours.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:18:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have seen lots of romex and I have never seen orange that was anything but 10 gauge. There is white, blue and black romex out there over the years that can be any size. When Southwire came out with yellow and orange, it became the defacto industry standard.

My color vision is very poor. More likely yellow, and reasonably sure it's 14 ga.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Look at the writing on it.
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 2:22:49 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Fat, bald, color-blind, left-handed, single, Mormon, lived in a trailer...n o wonder your dead! ٩(×̯×)۶
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 14:46:30 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

Not dead. Undead. Zombie
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:17:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But Southwire doesn't make ALL the wire used in North America There was orange jacketed cloth covered Romex 40 or more years ago. It was 14 guage IIRC - definitely no more than 12 guage - and it was used for baseboard electric heaters. On a 240 circuit it was good for 3500 watts of heat on a 15 amp breaker - generally used on 3000 watt (2 1500 watt units)
If it was 12 guage it was good for 4500 watts - or 3 units.
I know it wasn't "10 because I pulled several hundred feet of it. Thinking back - likely closer to 45 years ago - when I worked some with my dad - an electrician.
The plastic stuff is likely more standardized
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:54:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Perhaps you missed the "defacto industry standard" part. Find me someone who has made orange 14 gauge romex since the Eisenhower administration. (about the time plastic NM cable appeared) Most of the paper asphalt NM was silver but it might have had red or orange writing on it.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:51:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Up here it was brown, black, orange, and occaisionally silver. Our early plastic stuff was black, white, brown, or orange.
On 1/28/2016 8:02 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bubba hung his new 65 inch TeeVee on the wall using 16 penny nails and hit a wire?
On 1/28/2016 1:34 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

They do have a large flat, but it's plugged into outlet strip, then to the outlet. The large flat sits on a piece of furniture.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 9:03:04 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This reminds of the wonderful story you told about the Harbor Freight employee and your "humorous" use of the N-word.
Once again, you bring race into situations that have nothing whatsoever to do with race and then you claim that you are not a racist.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
On 1/28/2016 8:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I do not protest too much! That's a false accusation, and I want you to take it back! You're too sensetive. Might that indicate you have some hidden guilt?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 8:36:12 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We all want something. We don't always get what we want.

Nope...I'm not the one that keeps bringing race into situations where no one but you would have thought of it.
When I hear "BTW, I'm not being racist..." my first thought is always "No one thought you were...until you said that."
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 3:36:51 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The underlying (note: "lying") is that Mormon believe blacks are inferior and can never enter heaven. He *is* a racist of the lowest order...