Four questions about actual antennas and installation

Page 2 of 2

mm wrote:

First of all I hope you aren't replacing an analog antenna with a new "Digital" one. The truth is that there is practically no difference. If you have the style with wide elements on the far end and they get smaller the closer it gets to the middle, then the only difference is that if you wanted to you could break off a few of the widest ones. Those frequencies aren't used for TV anymore. That's it. That is the only difference between digital and analog antenna.
The whole idea of opening up an antenna up there doesn't sound like anything I'd like to try. Most likely the elements will snap into place and you sometimes need pliers to squeeze the clip before you can fold it in again.
Also with a person in the attic, your reception will likely change. So you have to come down each time when you think you are close. Even people in the next floor below the attic can effect the signal. Most of it depends on how strong your signal is.
Definitely tighten up the connectors, and use the largest color TV you have for testing. If you had an antenna, start with the new one pointing the same direction.

Well of course. But I'm also replacing a 15" diameter, flying saucer with rod wings amplified antenna whose amplifier seems to have broken a year ago**, with a 6 to 10 foot long channel 7 to 69 outdoor antenna, in my attic. (Yes, I know they don't use channels above 51?, anymore, but that's how Winegard labels the antennas.
**Actually I had two identical Radio Shack amplified antennas and together they lasted about 24 years. They both seemed to break, in that each stoppped working. Other than verifying that the adpater still worked, I didn't any time hunting for a a solvable problem with the first one. I just bought another one, and it worked. Although what is strange is that the voltage is 12 volts on the second floor but only 8 or 9 in the attic, while disconnected from the antenna. It should be the same, right? Yet if the center wire in the co-ax were broken, it would probably be zero.

I certainly know that. Right now I'm using a single strand wire about 7 feet long that I plug into the hole in the co-ax Antenna In connector on the back of the DVDR/digital tuner. And I hang it across an radio cabinet from the 30's.
It does very well, since I'm in Baltimore, getting channels in DC, 7.1, 7.2 and 66.1-4 and sometimes channel 9!, which tvfool.com says I need an attic antenna to get. And this is just a wire. But there are still 8 channels (not counting any .2 or .3 there might be) that I can't get in DC, and I'm hoping to get most of them.

Well, I wasn't going to buy an antenna designed for channels 2 to 6. I presume that's the ones you mean.
BTW, you're not quite right. IIRC there are 40 stations nationwide using low VHF. In fact 3 of them are around here but distant enough that tvfool.com says I have very little chance of getting them even with a very big antenna designed for low VHF. Plus I"m in a little valley. I asked here about using a GPS to find out my altitude compared to the main street a quarter mile from here which runs along the crest of a small hill, while I'm right next to a small stream at the bottom of the hill. With the hill between me and DC. tvfool indicated that I would neeed a 50 foot tall antenna to get more stations than an attic antenna would get me, and 50 feet is just too much for me, to get a couple more stations.

I didn't even ask about that. I assumed I'd be able to get them folded again. I can use pliers.

Good point. I think it faces the same direction. Although it is much smaller and could easily point any direction, I also pointed it to DC because those where the stations i wanted.
mm wrote:

OK, you are in a much better reception area than me. My antenna is about 9 feet long. Whole different story!

Absolutely.

Your antenna would work about 3 times better outside on a pole than in your attic.
jamesgangnc wrote:

But outside it will only last 20 to 40 years and inside it will last 100-200 years. ;-) Oh, if inside, I hope you don't have or plan on having a steel roof!
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:52:15 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

I know it would work better but outside is not an option.
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:52:15 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

Thank you. I know it would work better but outside is not an option.