Foundation Repair Questions

Hi,

Is there a site out there that objectively compares foundation repair techniques? I ask because every site I found is run by some foundation repair company with a technique to sell.

I ask because my home is in need of foundation repair. I called Atlas (the only large company I know of in Houston, TX) and was given an estimate of $23,150! My house only cost $77,000 and was apraised at $98,000, which brings the total investment to $2,000 over appraisal. Anyway, the guy put down every other foundation repair technique and praised the Cable Lock system. I'm interested in knowing about all the techniques (including Cable Lock) from a disinterested third party so I can decide on what I need to do.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
xmp333

type of soil, climate, type of construction, extent of buried damage... if you have similar home to the neighbors, ask them how they are handling their similar problem. sometimes the feared building inspector is older and experienced and actually the best guy to ask for help.

Reply to
buffalobill

True. I have been following as many threads as I could on this, and the one thing I learned was to first get an independent, competent, reputable structural engineer without any affiliation to a repair business to tell me what's wrong and possibly suggest remedies.

Outside of looking in the phone book and asking questions, any pointers on finding such people? Any decent engineering society white pages for example?

Thanks.

Reply to
xmp333

I got the name of the engineer I used through an architect I knew through a general contract I've hired a lot.

Yes, it's the way to go. If someone is really pushing his solution hard, I'd be seeing red flags waving. Get the engineer's report, work from there.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Asking neighbors might help. Or might not. I learned through my foundation repair process that a LOT of people ignore and cover up.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

xmp,

I think you are correct in your assessment. A contractor will know one type of repair and will recommend it. Hire a civil engineer to look at your foundation, look at your soil, and recommend a solution. The engineer may refuse to actually recommend a contractor but usually they give you 2 or 3 names. Pay the engineer to supervise the work. What's a cable lock?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Cable Lock is one of the ways of fixing a foundation. They run a cable connected to some kind of drill under the house and keep on looping cylinders (steel reinforced cement?). Each cylinder added forces the cable/drill further down until it hits stable soil. At that point they pour something like epoxy to lock everything in place.

The guy from Atlas kept on selling it like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that's also the only technique Atlas uses, so I'm skeptical. In some ways, it sounded like they had a stake in the technology itself. On the other hand, they were offering a lifetime, no exclusion warranty on the house (automatically transfers to new owners too).

Thanks.

Reply to
xmp333