foundation repair

I am buying a small old house with pier and beam. Some of the cedar piers need replacing and the crawl space under the house is tight. One company quoted me over $15,000 for the repairs (for an under 1,000 sq. ft. house). I just want to repair or replace the obviously rotted piers and beams. What are the pros and cons of this approach? I'm also going to look for someone who can do the work less expensively. The entire foundation/house is not worth an expensive remodel, as the next buyer will probably scrape and start over. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
query

This all depends on how you long you want to live there.

Do a half assed cheap job and expect poor results.

Do it correct and compensate the additional money in the final price of the home.

Reply to
BocesLib

I understand your point. I guess I just don't want to put a Mercedes motor into a Hyundai. I think there is a large range between the most expensive, complete redo of the foundation and a repair of the actual problems. That is what I am aiming for.

Reply to
query

Apples and oranges. You're equating a less expensive bid than 15K with half assed and poor results. Based on the OP's description of the necessary work, 15K sounds steep and warrants other estimates.

Reply to
G Henslee

What point? You don't quote anything. But you're right. 15K may be kind of high so consider several more estimates.

Reply to
G Henslee

That indeed sounds high for this sized house. As another poster said, best to get multiple estimates from contractors - preferably that neighbors have been happy with, and check the Better Business Bureau to eliminate those contractors with "histories". Also, you would be well advised to find out why the rot is there, and address that, as well. Caused by termites, moisture, what? Also, keep in mind the first estimate likely included removing piers, footings, jacking up the house, and repouring footings, and replacing piers and anchors - potentially a big job in narrow crawl space. Once you get several bids, and begin to understand the scope of the challenge, you might even consider having it done in stages. A house levelling company to brace and place jacks, taking the weight off the piers, then having a laborer clear out the piers (and footings if they have subsided), some of the dirt and debris out for easier working, then find a qaulified foundation engineer to specify the next steps, etc. Sometimes limited crawlspace accessibility and debris under the house alone, will scare off contractors, who bid crazily, just to see if you blink. Good Luck.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Three old gentlemen are enjoying the beach in Florida.

So, how did you get here?

Oh, my business had a fire and I retired from the insurance.

And how did you get here?

My business was flooded from a broken water main and I retired on the insurance.

To the third ... so how did YOU get here?

My business was wiped out by a tornado and I retired on the insurance?

The first two chime in, " So, how do you start a tornado?"

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Poop, Nobody cares about *your* opinion of their input. Get back in the toilet ya old shit.

Reply to
G Henslee

Good analysis, Roger; sounds like the best input so far. Another thing the poster might consider is, depending on the dimensions of the house, and since he said it's under 10k ft sq, is to pour some footings outside the crawl space but close to the foundation, jack her up and set it back down on a couple steel beams and 2 x

10s. It'd cost a lot less and might even provide a footing for a porch in the future. It was done not too long ago down the road from me here, and they paid about $5,000 for the whole thing. Plus, the owner ended up with a usable crawl space, slapped down a vapor barrier, and now has storage down there. The old piers now hold nothing - but they're handy for him to hang things from . He got a full 4 ft height at one end. There are some downsides to it too, so best to talk it over with the/a contractor before starting. Anchoring had to be a little better than usual with the new support system.

FWIW,

Pop

Reply to
Pop