foundation problem?

After pulling up the linoleum to put down a tile floor a couple of years ago, I noticed a very small crack that runs all the way from the front to the back of this room (about 20 feet). More recently I noticed that the cieling sheetrock is developing a similar type crack in the exact same area. The floor crack is covered and the cieling crack is easily repaired with compound and some paint, but I'm wondering if this means that I may have a foundation problem? If so, what can be done? Thanks.
Joe
Joe B. wrote:

your foundation may be sinking. the soil the footing is on may not have been tampered well enough. you may have to underpin.
If there is differential movement between one part and another of the building, the walls should show some crack or deformation. If you are concerned, look for a forensic engineer or an engineer with experience in residential construction. Expect to pay $100 or more an hour. TB
Some settling is normal. If its a smal crack I would not be too concerned.
Yea at this point it is just a small crack. There is no actual movement of the concrete yet other than these very small cracks (probably 1/16 of an inch wide). I just wanted to be proactive if it would help.
Joe

If there is differential movement between one part and another of the building, the walls should show some crack or deformation. If you are concerned, look for a forensic engineer or an engineer with experience in residential construction. Expect to pay $100 or more an hour. TB

area.
some cracks. Most the time they put the wire mesh for reinforcement. I would rather see a 12" grid of #4 rebar . The ceiling cracks can be from allot of things, settling Roof load,( especially with tile roof). One word of advise Do not spackle sheetrock cracks use paintable caulking it will move the sheetrock the spackle will just crack again.
It is not unusual to find cracks on concrete. You might just have minor problems with the floor slab and not the foundation.
--

Later \'gator!

don snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca