foundation or slab

Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

Reply to
mark henderson

you should remove the topsoil, as any organic material will settle over time. then, your slab should have a thickened edge. 10" is required where I live, with 2 1/2" rebar around the perimeter. does it freeze where you live? then you should add a layer of well drained sand under the slab too.

mark henders> Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small

Reply to
marson

Once again this is one of those questions that can only be answered by local regulations.

Here anything less than 200 square feet does not have to meet building codes. YMMV.

If I were building such a structure here, I would excavate the loose top soil and pour a slab on the surface with a minimum dept of 4" and I would try to get below the frost line for the perimeter.

On such a small structure, the frost line is not that important unless you live in a very cold winter climate. Yours should be more temperate than mine (USDA zone 6).

Reply to
Colbyt

Another option is to build it on four piers, whereby you rent a gas-powered soil-auger, drill four 3' deep holes, drop cardboard tubes down the holes, fill with concrete, and stuff a stainless bracket at the top of each one.

Only downside is that puts the floor of the shed pretty high up.

Reply to
Goedjn

When you say utility building, do you mean thin sheet metal shed, or do you mean framed 2x4 walls, drywall, etc? If its just a metal shed type a 4" thick slab with a exterior footing 6" into grade(10" overall) with some 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the slab and a #4 rebar around the footing will be ok. If you mean a real framed/roofed building, I would make the footings 12" into grade, a #4 rebar top and bottom all the way around the footing and you can still use 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the 4" thick slab.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky