foundation for stone veneered planter box

I want to build planters in front of my house. What would be the proper foundation on which to place concrete block to which I will veneer the face with stone? Should rebar be used? If so how deep? Any type of sand or other substance as a base for the block??
Thanks in advance for any input.
Mickey