Found crack in cylindrical part inside A/C condenser unit

Page 2 of 2
If replacing the part would not be cost effective for such an old system, then I am wondering if there is any chance the life of the existing part could be extended by wrapping the part with some kind of tape and/or insulating material to prevent moisture from consensing directly on the rusty metal casing of that part when the unit is running?
Thanks,
J.
Add pictures here
✖
Schlock on some Rust Oleum. The real stuff, in the pry open top can. Not the thin runny spray paint stuff.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Would that really stick to the rusty metal? Doesn't the rust have to be brushed off first in order for the paint to really stick? I would be scared of using a wire brush to try and prepare the surface of a tank that is pressurized. Likely the most I could do before painting it would be to wipe it off with a cloth.
J.
Add pictures here
✖
JayN wrote:

Jay;
The unit you showed in your picture that you posted is approximately 24 years old or better. [1985] Most residential HVAC equipment will give you 20 years of service [albeit without proper maintenance]. I'd be looking at replacing the unit with a more current, efficient unit. You'd likely cut your electrical usage by 40% with a newer high efficiency unit.
Understand it is a home appliance and has a life cycle.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
JayN wrote:

In future, PLEASE don't cross-post to alt.hvac AND home-repair.
The comments from the hvac people bleed over and are downright shocking to the sensibilities of us here on home.repair. When I see some of the vicious and profanity-laden missives, I get an attack of the vapors and the wife has to have a lie-down. The attitude on hvac seems to be epitomized by the Dilbert cartoon:
Panel #1 Dilbert: "I think it's the carburetor."
Panel #2 Mechanic: "You think it's WHAT?"
Panel #3 Dilbert: "I think it's the &#*^@! carburetor." Mechanic: "Well, why didn't you say so!"
Thank you for your consideration.
Add pictures here
✖