Forming curves--Concrete

Hiya Folks, Actually this isn't a concrete question but one pertaining to brick. But either way, the question is the same. What do folks use for forming up curves for instance in a sidewalk? Would 1/4" ply be flexible? The curve really isn't that sharp but I'm not entirely sure what to use. HD and Lowes really didn't have anything that looked flexible other than the 1/4" ply (cut it into strips). I intend to mount this to stakes and screed my basecourse for the pavers. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

We usually use strips of cheap masonite siding. You can buy them in 12' lengths (x 8" wide) and the backside is smooth. They are very flexible. For those times when masonite is not available, we use strips of 1/4" masonite. You can rip the sheets down to whatever width you want. Our concrete products supplier (RSS) sells masonite in 6 or 8" wide strips just for this purpose.

Reply to
Robert Allison

1/4" ply will work fine. I use 1/2" for concrete. It holds the curve better when the concrete starts pushing it. You don't have to worry about that for pavers.

OTOH-- I use the plastic edging with 10" nail-like stakes for pavers. The stuff I used last had premarked notches to cut out for different radii. If you don't hold the edges with a weatherproof edging, I don't know how long they'll remain tight.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks Jim. I've seen the plastic edging but I don't think it would work for me in the preliminary stages anyway to set 4" of base and screed it flat. The edging I've seen is 1 to 1-1/2" tall and I need more like 4" or so. For edging of the pavers once their in, I intend to set bricks soldier style. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Thanks Robert. I haven't seen these in the local stores here but I've not been looking for them either. I'll take a look today and see what I can come up with. They would probably work just great. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The concrete guys use 1/4" temperted masonite for complex curves here, lots of stakes

Reply to
gfretwell

I used 3/8" ply to form the curves for my driveway. Then I sistered another layer of ply and screwed them together

There is a curvable recycled plastic product they call benderboard (for garden jobs) at HD

Reply to
Rudy