Formica problem

Can I lay Formica over and existing Formica counter top. Trying to update from Pink Formica counter top to a different color. Thanks

Reply to
Steve Lambert

Yes you can if present layer in well attached. I've done this several times, you should rough up the existing surface. jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Hi Steve:

The short answer is "yes, it can be done", followed by "but I wouldn't ever do it..."

I've seen this attempted twice by amateurs and once by a professional woodworker. In each case the surface was supposedly prepared properly, the right contact cement was used, etc.,etc.. In each case the laminate delaminated from the underlayment within two years.

You might go into the local Lowe's or Home Depot and look at their pre-made countertops and do some price shopping. The cost difference between the laminate and the countertop is significant but I wouldn't call it considerable (the cost difference between laminate and Corian is considerable.... )

To install a new countertop you (usually) unscrew the old one, lay down the new one (making up any joints with the bolts they supply), level it with shims as needed, and screw it down. You might have to trim out the backsplash some so that it fits against the wall, so there's a little (annoying) trial-and-error fitting to be done..

To laminate, the old surface must be sanded and cleaned thoroughly. Cement is applied to old and new surface and allowed to dry, then the laminate is laid and rolled thoroughly. Then of course there's the nose and backsplash surfaces to be installed, and all of the edges to be trimmed with the right router bit....

There are lots of things I'll do myself, and some that I'll leave to the manufacturers or professionals. Making a laminate countertop is one of the latter.

PS -- The cost of laminate countertop was so reasonable that we had our big kitchen table made that way. Told 'em we wanted a custom countertop 4 x 6 feet that was finished on all four edges, as though for an island. When it came in we mounted it on legs. Done. It's lasted about seven years now and looks almost as good as it did when new.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

if the formica is just a flat surface you can . scuff back the original laminate to get a better glue bond .

If the countertop has a formed edge you will want to replace it .

Reply to
marks542004

Degreasing years of embedded grease is the problem, you need alot of work and different cleaners and solvents .Not cleaning right is what leads to glue failure.

Reply to
m Ransley

I did this about 18 months ago in my kitchen. The old formica was in horrible shape, so I bought two sheets (4x8 each, $44 a piece IIRC) from homedepot.... also bought some of their contact cement stuff... it's in the same section as the formica.

Here's my point, mine is starting to 'buckle' in one place. I sanded the old formica with a 60 grit on a belt sander to rough it up. Cleaned it with a tack cloth, then pulled out my router with a straight cutting bit (this is the ONLY way to cut formica, using a hack saw will take days and you'll probably hurt yourself, formica's sharp stuff sometimes...but it's possible)

After dry fitting all the pieces together, i pulled them off, then started putting down the glue. That's where the problem is, I figured I'd scimp on the glue in a few places as I was running short. (bought the quart, not the gallon..not smart) PUT THAT STUFF ON THICK. I put it on super duper thick in some areas and it's a great counter, where it was thin...that's another story. I hate my bubbled countertop, if only I did it right the first time.

So, moral of the story is...buy too much then return what you don't use. I should've gotten 3 quarts and returned any unopened ones, and slathered that stuff on until it oozed out of the edges.

Reply to
kellyj00