Formica

I was on the Formica site and they said that Plywood is contra-indicated for Formica. I know you can use MDF, but that stuff is really heavy and I would rather use plywood. Can I?
Bob
--
______________________________
S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP
SRobert wrote:

I've installed Formica (tm) over 3/4 marine ply for use in outdoor wet bars. Never a problem. YMMV.

for
would
if the maker states something and you want to do the opposite, i'd think you'd want to ask the maker why they make the statement. they must have a reason for making that statement.
any particular reason you'd trust the responses from a newsgroup over the maker of the product?
Used plywood for years, starting before there was a website to check on. No problems up till now.

I tend to agree, when I ripped out my mica counter tops (from 1963) it was because we wanted something different, not because the plywood substrate failed. Maybe new plywood sucks but this stuff did fine.
Charles belives everything he is told....just the way the establishment likes it.......get a spine dude!

SRobert writes:

URL?
Actually, I could not find the URL again and it might not have actually been on the Formica site :)
--
______________________________
S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP

Did you try www.mdf.org?
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:44:35 -0400, "SRobert"

Ply will work, but be aware that there are various grades of ply. You probably want furniture grade which has a smooth flat surface (like MDF). The MDF is very inexpensive compared to furniture-grade ply.

A/C seems to work OK. Just stay away from "sheathing" grades. With the ridiculous price of plywood these days that seems hard though. BTW MDF is not that "saw dust and glue" particle board crap they sell at the BORG.
SRobert wrote:

Formica on plywood was standard for years. Are you sure that the manufacturer said never put it on plywood or to use caution. There is a problem if the plywood has voids (incomplete coverage by a layer). Then when you glue the formica and pound on it, you may break the formica as it bends into the void. Breakage can obviously be avoided by using a larger block for pressing (pounding) the formica to the substrate, simply not pounding, or using a better grade of plywood.
If the manufacture truly say not to use plywood, it may be that they consider current plywood of sufficiently poor grade that it should be avoided altogether.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:44:35 -0400, "SRobert"

Contra-indicated? You sure this wasn't a medical or military site?

Plywood used to be the recommended substrate. Then along came MDF, which is more stable and smoother with no voids or breaks. MDF doesn't delaminate either.
Plywood works. MDF usually works better. A/C ply, preferably marine grade in a wet area such as around a sink. I've used 5/8" PTS underlay before as well, and the counter was still doing fine after two decades.
Jeff
just stay away from any product with voids in it.
wrote:

for
"contra-indicated"......only a term a medical professional would use.....hire a professional installer and go with what he says......a "physician" can't stand his "all mighty" opinion being challenged.......that's why they call it " a practice" !

Hey.... I'm only a dentist.....
--
S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP