FORMICA

I am going to use Formica as the backsplash against the wall on a new counter top installation and wonder if anyone has had any luck using liquid nails instead of contact cement. I know it's recommended cementing it to a backer board first, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks

Reply to
rockachawboy

For what purpose? Irrespective of it not lasting permanently, you'll play the devil getting a smooth enough layer to be able to have a flat surface.

If the idea is to have the backsplash flush or nearly so to the rest of the wall, cut a relief for the backsplash to accomodate it instead.

Reply to
dpb

Construction adhesive's great for gluing thicker objects (such as a granite splash), but you're going to have all kinds of bulges telegraphing through something thin like Formica.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Formica is a brand name for plastic laminate FYI the oil in liquid nail will bleed lines through the laminate (made that mistake years ago) I recommend contact cementing laminate onto 1/4" plywood then liquid nail plywood to wall. or cementing directly to wall.

Reply to
dachief123

actually the oil transfers through the granite leaving a dark stain clear silicone is used for granite,corian or other solid surfaces (with a little help from hot glue to hold it in place until the silicone cures) on backsplash.

Reply to
dachief123