for those of you who say land lines are reliable

Page 2 of 3
for those of you who say land lines are reliable:

Good one!
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

My AT&T Pots line has been as reliable as government taxation for the last 20 years.
N8N wrote:

Six or seven years ago on Long Island Verizon dug up one of their own cables, which was not where their drawings said it was. Of course the circuits were duplicated -- but the duplicates were in the same cable bundle!
Perce

I've been owned, sold and bought again by AT&T a couple of times in the last 30 years. It's always been reliable (except, e.g., when a backhoe ran over the box in the front yard.) I think we're forced to conclude that it's Verizon that's shitty.
When the power in the East went out in 2003, our land line performed like a champ. Cell phones were useless, not just because they couldn't be charged, but also because they were swamped by people using them who only had cordless phones at home. They'll pry my 2-pound (I really should weigh it) Western Electric desk phone out of my cold, dead hands. (They'll have to shoot me first, because it's an effective bludgeon.)
Cindy Hamilton
Yeah, right. Most people's land lines go down once a decade, if that. How do cell phones stack up?
I'm lucky if I only have one dropped word per sentence when talking to some idiot with a cell phone. Hate 'em. (Cell phones, not the idiots).
-- Please report all anti-Marxist speech to snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov

I've been a homeowner for 43 years in a couple of different states. I honestly can't think of a singe time I did not have phone service, even in severe storms when power was out. Cell reception, OTOH, is very spotty.
I don't doubt your mother's problems, but she is a very tiny minority. I'm keeping my land line, and the DSL that is more reliable than my cable service.

It just seems odd to me that she would be in a "minority" when I've had the same problem in two different states. so that's at least three states in my experience where you can't count on the phone co.
nate
N8N wrote:

Ed is referring to the idea of statistical sample size. Your observations (because there are so few) are just statistical noise at this point.

Then I must be colossally unlucky, having moved at least once a year for a while and ALWAYS having problems with my POTS. (and usually getting rude, indifferent service to boot.)
I didn't bother having it turned on the last time I moved and I haven't yet missed it. Been there for almost three years now.
nate
wrote in message

It just seems odd to me that she would be in a "minority" when I've had the same problem in two different states. so that's at least three states in my experience where you can't count on the phone co.
nate
I don't think anyone has mentioned that, at least here, Verizon will allow you to continue to purchase the DSL service when you drop your land line phone service as long as you can bundle the billing with another service such as Verizon wireless. Thinking about doing that as we almost never use our land line phone, especially since all of our friends and family (some 2000 miles away) have Verizon wireless and the long distance is free. I have to pay Verizon $5 per month on my land line because I never use the long distance service on it and they won't let me drop that long distance service.
Tom G
N8N wrote:

Hi, Of course land line is reliable. It is the problem of Verizon. I have lived in this city since the spring of 1970. I don't recall any time our phone was down. Had couple power failures which lasted like couple minutes each time.

Land lines *are* more reliable than cellular, and the signal quality is much higher.

There's the problem, right there!
N8N wrote:

my land line works just fine. She can either bitch about it, or have it fixed. her choice.

How does she "have it fixed?" Calling Verizon, the state PUC, and her representative have not resulted in a functional phone line. Can you recommend someone?
nate
N8N wrote:

Nope, just keep calling everytime they don't fix it correctly. They'll eventually get tired of the calls and fix it properly. Call everyday.

I tried that:( every day for 3 WEEKLS:(
It didnt help had to call verizon presidents office TWICE, to get a network tech to fix a fios noisey router.
come october:) I am out of contract and going to be a PIA.
they richly deserve it!!
bob haller, 8/7/2009,4:56:57 PM, wrote:

I can verify your experience is not atypical with Verizon FiOS customer support. Just making the call is tortuous in the first place. It is very hard to get a live person and you must go through endless routines with the automated voice before you get through to a person. Say "AGENT" three times and that should get you through. Then the rep has 11 minutes to get you off the phone so they don't have time to read the previous notes and immediately jump to the standard troubleshooting even if you tell them this has already been done five times. In order for each level of support to escalate it to the next level they must prove it is not within the scope of their level and troubleshooting tools. If it gets escalated to Level 2 and they think they have fixed it remotely, they need only leave a message twice before closing the trouble ticket. Once it's closed you start all over again with the entire process. If Level 2 can't fix it because it's an order problem or farther into the network then they have to put it into someone else's bucket after they prove they can't fix it. God forbid you have a billing problem or something goes wrong on a move order, that's when the real hell starts.

verizon fixed the agent statement it no longer works:(
I WISH the media would expose their poor customer service......
I forgot to mention theres a LARGE tree being supported by the main neighborhood fios line, the cable is taunt and the weight is bending and leaning the utility poles. the tree is on a abandoned right of way from 1950 when the homes were built.
verizon refuses to trim any tree, its against company policy. they wait till the line fails, which will likely be during a storm slowing service restoration.
they dont care,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't use telephone nor cell. No interruptions, I use email.
[snup]

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, wonnnnderful spam! :-)