for "scotch-taping" a label to VHS cassette: need *better* than "magic"-tape

There's gotta be something better (stickier, stays stuck-on, doesn't come loose the way magic-tape does) for taping a paper label onto a VHS vcr-tape-cassette.

(This Scotch-brand "Magic"-tape just doesn't stay stuck on; it comes loose. And yes, the cassette is clean -- came straight out of its package.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

____Reply Separator_____ Why not use the label that came with the tape?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Skip the label, use a grease-pencil directly on the cassete. Or white paint and a magic marker.

Reply to
default

right out of the package may be the problem . The new plastic case may still have some oils or mold release on them. Try wiping down with alcohol first then tape.

Reply to
... ...

How about trying Avery Laminating Sheets?

nosredna

use the labels that come with the tapes or go to a video type store and buy a pack of the labels.. they use the correct stuff that stays stuck on the plastic....

Reply to
jim

I happened to have some 1" X 3" white labels left from the early type printer style (holes on sides). I stick the label on and trim with a razor blade. And I use pencil rather than ink. Works well. Should be able to get similar labels at Staples or.........

frank

Reply to
F.H.

Skip the label all together: Scotch 256 "White Paper Tape" and a Shaprie.

in the old days, you had to buy this stuff at art supply stores but now it's available on-line, of course.

You'll want the 3/4" width (or maybe even 1/2") for working with VHS tapes. It's a thicker version of masking tape and it's pure white. Very popular in the TV industry for temporary labels on the edge of tapes. (Well, at least back when we used a lot of tapes, I would imagine there's a lot more digital disc recording going on these days.) BTW, it stays on until you take it off, in case my "temporary" throws you. But it comes off like masking tape, not like permanent labels. Write on it with the Sharpie, let dry for a few seconds, and then apply it to the cassette.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

And what is a "sharpie"? (The first mention, I hought it was razor or X-acto, ...

Then, you later say that you *write* with it.

What -- a Sharp "magic marker"? Ordinary ball-point pen?

What, then?

THANKS FOR THE TAPE SUGGESTION!

David

Reply to
David Combs

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.

I've now got lots of good ideas to try!

Thanks again!

David

Reply to
David Combs

"Sharpie" is the brand name of a fine point permanent marker made by Sanford. The key being "permanent". Don't have any stats to back it up, but it's probably the biggest selling pen of that type. You've probably seen 'em everywhere... light gray body, and the cap is the same as the ink color.

In many people's vocabulary, "Sharpie" has become the "Vaseline" / "Kleenex" / "Xerox" of the Magic Marker world. They deserve it, it's a *great* pen.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

BWA HA HAAA HA HA! There's a big old "brain fart" there. Let's see if anybody catches it.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz