For HVAC Folks: Forced Gas Hot Air Residetial Heating Furnace Ratings ?

Page 2 of 2

you are desperate? or uninformed.

Comfort- 10 seer removes more moisture. Price- 10 seer costs less. Size- 10 seer is smaller equipment Electronic's- Doesn't require DC/ECM motors.

Prove it... Maybe because it 'runs longer?'

True.
I can get 10 SEER evaps that are the same size. The condensers are bigger, though

The 12 SEER stuff I sell doesn't either. You can get VS equipment that is ECM.
bill wrote:

I think this was based on the 12 SEER having higher air volume over the evaporator, so the evap should be at a higher temp and have less condensation, right? But I don't think it took into account that the 12 seer evap coil will often have more surface area than the 10, so there's more area for condensation to collect (which may or may not be a big enough factor to compensate).
But the big one is, if you have a multispeed air handler, you can hook a humidistat to the AC system to run the fan slower when humidity is too high. So a 12 seer could remove as much moisture as a 10 when it is absolutely necessary, but run at peak efficiency when dehumidification is not necessary. The 10 seer on the other hand, can never attain the efficiency of the 12.
"Sir, you're drunk."
"And Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning, I'll be sober."
%mod%
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

The 10 will remove more moisture all other things being equal. I was responding to the blanket statement. Slowing the blower will compensate but out of the gate a 10 will win.
HVAC poet

I don't use it. I sell and install the equipment. When I bid someone a 12 SEER unit and they say it's too much, I tell them the price on a 10 SEER unit. I also tell them the 12 SEER stuff will cost less to operate.
Robert11 wrote:

First you need to read the actual magazine story, not the annual report. The magazine version usually gives good information about the methodology. As someone noted the frequency of repair information comes from annual surveys that they send out to their subscribers and maybe some others.

This is one area where I may question the results you get from CR. I am generally a fan of their results, but in the case of this type of equipment the installation is a very large part of the results you get. Poor job and the best unit will not do well.
In this case you start by finding the professional who is going to do the install. Then let them pick, with your input, the product for you. They are going to pick something that is good and fits your needs.
Start off by asking your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers for names and recommendations. Go from there. Get a couple of estimates.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math