For HVAC Folks: Forced Gas Hot Air Residetial Heating Furnace Ratings ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello:
Will be looking to replace a 30 yr old gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a residence.
Read Consumers Research, and they "rate" American Standard as best, with Rheem next.
Am always a bit leery with CR's ratings, as they seldom really go into the methodology they use.
Anyway, there is such good advice on this forum, thought I'd ask here.
Is it the general consensous of you folks that American Standard (and then Rheem) really are the two top brands to consider for gas, forced hot air furnaces ?
Why ?
Any to "absolutely" avoid ?
Might as well also ask: same manufacturer rating order for the split type of A/C where the condenser is placed outside the house ?
Thanks, B.
Robert11 wrote:

In the case of repair frequency, they take their numbers from the annual survey of their subscribers.

The manufacture is not the most important part. The installer is.
Check out the seer and heat ratings for all of the units your going to consider. Narrow it down to 4-5 models and then seek contractors. Make sure that they do calculations. Not just "you got a 2 ton so we will replace it with a 2 ton." Have them inspect your duct work and see if there are any challenges that need to be corrected.
Check the guarantees and do not forget to call your utilities. They might have rebates if you buy a certain level of equipment.
Personally when I change units again I will make damn sure that I get a scroll compressor.
Hi,
Thanks for all the good advice.
Let me show my ignorance: "Personally when I change units again I will make damn sure that I get a scroll compressor."
What's a scroll compressor ? Why is it better ? More expensive ?
Found on what mfg's units, etc. ?
Thanks again, Bob --------------------

Goodman's got it. BTW, I'm afraid that those statistics for Goodman equipment must include the discontinued Janitrol line. It was the low-end junk line. Goodman also owns Amana now and I would bet that most of the repairs necessary on the Goodman equipment was for the hot surface ignitor. And that they failed while still under warranty. Goodman is now trying to have a bracket made so that these ignitors may be replaced with the same ignitors they use on the Amana line. I hate to see so many folks trash Goodman. I personally think it is the best bang for your buck. And in NJ there's quite a few A+ dealers to service the warranty.

The entire brand is Junk.

And now that's what happening to Amana. Goodman bought Amana to try to get some better press. They found out they could save about $2-3 dollars on a different inducer and did it. They didn't even bother to check reliability. The inducers started crapping out almost right away and they are giving replacements out to contractors left and right.

They have a poor track record.

I service that line if a customer has one, but I collect for the labor AND fixing the stuff the 'installer' didn't do correctly or to code.
They have inferior components Door Switches Circuit Boards (if you can keep up with the changes) Heat Exchangers Inducers Inferior Cabinet Construction The gauge of metal on the cabinets is like tin foil The evopator pans are prone to leakage. Rust Problems after a year or two I could go on.......
Goodman doesn't replace Janitrol, Goodman is Janitrol, and GMC. It does not produce Amana it is owned by the same company that owns Amana.
The ONLY reason to put this stuff in someones house is unfortunately they are lacking some funds and really cant afford to buy anything else, it is for a rental property with a really cheap landlord, your customer got flagged on a home inspection and doesn't really care about the new homeowners, you can't buy anything else because of your reputation or you are a moonlighter, you got it for free for your own house, or you really don't like the person you are installing it for!
Sorry, but let's be truthful here if we have a little knowledge of the HVAC field. Goodman in any form is the worst equipment on the market.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Scroll's are in almost all equipment nowadays, with the exception of the Climatuf.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

York does the same on the Affinity units.
A scroll compressor is used on some AC units, in the outdoor "condensing unit". I'm not sure why they are more expensive. Hwoever, they are more energy efficient. And more dependable. Less likely to break. Quieter.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Read this: http://www.copeland-corp.com/cp_ac/cp_ac_0_1_a.htm

The things are almost bullet-proof. The have less moving parts, can take liquid slugs (of refrigerant) a lot better than the older recips could, and are quieter.

I don't think so.

And I'm sure you know that they are in the Goodman brand now too.

Not only that, but Goodman will warrant it for "life" on the 13 SEER units and above. (Original owner only)

Got a link to that bit of news?

No link. I was told that by the folks in TX at warranty administration. They told me to just enclose a letter with the warranty form stating who the new owner of the house is and they'll update thier records. I was surprised myself. I'll let you know how it goes if you want.

Talk is cheap. Show it to me in writing.
I was told a while back that the lifetime compressor warranty was only if a complete system was installed, only for the residential(I think), only for the original purchaser, and supposedly the purchaser had to live in the house--no rental property-- although I don't now how deeply they would check into that.And if the original purchaser sold the house, the warranty would revert to the regular 10 year. However, I think the lifetime on Amana heat exchangers is lifetime period-- whether original owner or 20th owner. You got me curious now. I'm gonna check into this and see if they changed their policy. Larry

Last I heard, they were only in the higher efficiency line, not the 10 SEER stuff.