For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:01:01 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

On the grounds that diesel spreads out any time it isn't tightly contained, and tree roots wouldn't contain any liquid tightly.

There might be some high heat and flame in there, but there would probably be some low heat also, and there would also be some areas that wouldn't get any flame unless you dug down there and exposed them to fresh air, and if you were going to do all that work you could just as easily dig up the roots anyway.
I bet there would be less fuel that manages to saturate/permeate completly thru the stump and finds it's way into the soil and remains unburnt than the fuel you spill filling up your lawnmower tank!!
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:49:37 GMT, don' snipped-for-privacy@there.com (The Watcher) wrote:

I'd take that bet if you'd want to come watch me fill my lawnmower tank. I fill my tank very carefully, and usually don't spill ANY gas on the deck, much less on the ground, so I'd say it's a safe bet that I'd put less fuel into the ground than somebody who deliberately pumped some into a buried tree stump.
If you have the right type of tree why not consider mushroom plugs. You can harvest mushrooms for a few years then the stump turns to mush you can scoop up with a shovel and compost.
http://www.mycosource.com/shiilogs.htm http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html
Grew up on an apple ranch and when I was just a little tyke, Uncle Richard would just dig a hole down next to the stump, wire up a stick or two next to it, walk way far away, and blow the stump out.......the good old days!!!
That would work well but today it isn't politically correct.
RB
ken wrote:

The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and then make a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole in the stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood spade bit, about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that would die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

<< And what chemical would destroy the stump? >>
Called Stump Destroyer. Available at your local Farm & Fleet. Probably commercial salt peter. Cheers..
Joe

Potassium nitrate.
--

SVL

and where could I buy it?

the
Hardware store, plant nursery, or at the home and garden dept at many variety stores--labeled as "Stump Remover"--read the label, diesel or other hydrocarbon fuel will help if you intend to later burn the stump.
Bulk quantities are available at wholesale chemical houses and pyrotechnic materials suppliers........
Beware, stump removal grade is *not* generally not pure enough for pyrotechnic use, so suggest dont get any bright ideas about making explosives or other 4th of July demonstrations with it.
Enuff said ???
--

SVL

So, the basic idea is, drill holes, pour KNO3 powder, add diesel fuel?
Wouldn't that be an immediate fire hazard?

cool.
I already had those bright ideas...
How about ammonium nitrate, can it be bought? I used it in Russia in my garden all the time.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

other
pyrotechnic
Go figure--bigger fishes elsewhere........
Seeya.
--
SVL

opined:

All you need is any cheap bag of high nitrogen fertilizer. Try not to get it on anything but the stump you are trying to decay. In addition to the nitrogen fertilizer, also put about a five pound bag of sugar on the stump to seep into the holes you drill. The carbon in the sugar will help expedite the process
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

it on

nitrogen
into
process
Yup....
In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.
Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of carbon in the stump.
--

SVL

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:39:24 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

Yes, but the carbon in the stump is not immediately available for it to mix with the N and get the heat process started. It's just a temporary expeditor, or catalyst to help the N work faster. It also feeds the microbes which will further break down the stump and large roots.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and 2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US climate?
billo

How is a high nitrogen fertiliser labeled?It is not 10-10-10, right?
escapee wrote:

Ike ???
Is that you ???
The magic number is above 40.......