For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 2 of 4

SteveB wrote:

I like the part "A story is told..." for that is certainly what it is. Anybody that was in charge or actually involved in burning ammunition dumps would wonder why he has never seen again.

Sporkman is thinking ANFO.
Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer) and fuel oil is a true explosive, and will go kaboom without confinement - but it does need a cap to initiate.
Otherwise known as "ANFO". The US govt (used to) publish pamphlets with instructions for farmers how to make the stuff to blow up stumps. The mining industry (and certain road building) uses it extensively. Drill holes in the rock, tanker truck pumps in pre-mixed ANFO, set blasting cap, and boom!
Sodium/Potassium nitrate plus fuel oil isn't a true explosive - burns rather than explodes. Should be considered with caution, because below-ground fires can be _extremely_ nasty to put out, and pop up hundreds of yards from where you set them.

While this is fun to do, I think the heat production is way too short-duration to be much use with a stump.

Welding large castings, rails, etc... ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
If considering trying to burn stumps... be aware that anything the fire doesn't take care of.... will be well preserved.. We did the "drill holes, fill with fuel, soak, burn" ended up with stumps that would not rot..

Chuck wrote:

You know, it's well into the realm of "not fun", but if you're really in a hurry to get the damn stump out and you're too cheap to rent a tractor, you can always take a shovel and an axe to it. (or, if you're careful and quick, someone else's chainsaw.)
--Goedjn

Great exercise. I removed four that way in my yard. I have two more two go. Rinse off the roots to prevent the sand from wearing out the chainsaw.
My Grandpa Bomb would have done it entirely different.
Death to the christian jew cop government.
Stumps have sand and dirt mixed into the wood. Really dulls saw chain in a hurry (couple minutes or less). DAMHIKT.
Dulls sawzall blades, too, this I know. Taking out about an 8 inch tree with a sawzall, like 10 blades, and a couple days work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hmm--I was gonna suggest using a Sawzall. I took out an 8" douglas fir with mine. Used a chain saw to down it (2' stump), dug a bit around the roots to expose them, and severed each with the Sawzall. The only hard one to get at was the tap root. Used a "wood and nails" blade.
It was unexpectedly quick and easy (30 min. for the stump) and didn't appreciably dull the single blade (as far as I remember).
I imagine the type and hardness of the tree made the difference.
--John W. Wells Learn more about Existentialism www.dealing-with-your-finitude.com
I'd go about 6-8" deep with a 1/2" or larger bit (preferably auger) using an electric drill.
Then I fill the holes with diesel and give it about 15 minutes to saturate the stump. Repeat once more than lite it.
After a few days there won't be a stump.
Don't do it if the surrounding area is "at risk" of also catching on fire.
Another method is to cover the stump with charcoal and lite it. The charcoal will burn out the stump.
snipped-for-privacy@email.msn.com ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) wrote in message

Or you could just do the most logical and easy thing, rent a stump grinder
$1.00 worth of diesel or $75 rental fee + 2 round trips to the rental yard.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!
On 3 Jun 2004 18:55:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

(Chet Hayes)

Yeah, $1.00 worth of diesel, a couple days spent watching and tending it while trying to burn it, getting permits for an outdoor fire or paying the resulting fines in most municipalities, worrying that the fire may spread somewhere else, then finally renting the stump grinder when it won't burn away.
(Chet Hayes)

grinder
They WILL burn away. They WILL decay away. It just depends how long you want to wait.
Steve

Of course, some people don't care much for the idea of pumping diesel down into their soil either. ;)
"Pump diesel into the soil"???
No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:41:30 GMT, don' snipped-for-privacy@there.com (The Watcher) wrote:

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't bet on that happening. Get it? ;) Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground, rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.
billo
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes into the ground.
So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?
billo
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:25:56 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

Yes, since it's a safe bet that if you pump some diesel into a stump, some WILL get into the ground around that stump.

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.

On what grounds would you bet that some would? My experience has been that diesel, when exposed to high heat and flame, burns pretty well.
billo