For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

If it lasts more than five hours, consult a doctor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Center posted, as yours was.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're lucky to have so many imaginary friends, I only had one and that was a long time ago.

I'll test your theory tomorrow. I don't know exactly how far away work is, but I do know that if I travel at a rate of a mile a minute I can time myself and derive the distance using D=RT as an equation.

Better yet, to save gas, I will get in my truck in the driveway and won't even start it. My rate will be zero and you say that the time doesn't matter and the distance becomes zero.

When my neighbor gets upset about his cornfield suddenly becoming a parking lot and his house being demolished by a factory landing on it, I will tell him that some idiot on USENET convinced me to do it as an experiment.

I'm putting *my* money on the time being infinite when the rate is zero and my workplace staying right where it is because of D=RT being a formula. It's a good thing too, because we're not zoned for industry up here.

I'm sure my boss will forgive me for not working tomorrow when I explain that the alternative was to have his factory dropped on a farmhouse and a cornfield in a non-industrial zone.

If you are correct, it should make the evening news, so have someone read the newspaper to you - or just look at the photos that are likely to accompany the story. Everybody has a camera these days.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I guess we just see things differently. People risk their own lives when they para-glide or mountain climb. OTOH, people risk others lives when they smoke, which is wrong to do.

See how that works?

How can I twist a direct quote from the Constitution? It lists 3 rights: "that among these are *Life*"!

Why do people always emphasize liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Without LIFE we can't pursue liberty OR happiness. Should we pursue LIFE that leads to sickness and disease, or pursue LIFE that leads to a high standard of health? Gee ... let me think. hmmmm

I think I'll pursue LIFE that leads to a high standard of health. Without that, pursuing liberty and happiness can be fairly difficult to attain.

[...]

I am a conservative - it's just a fact. Seriously, you should just accept it.

[...]

No - it's a HEALTH issue.

How do you know what conservatives believe?? Do you speak for all us conservatives? No.

Why do you think that you do?

I don't think it's that's simple.

Reply to
Muggles

WRONG! They showed this result:

"This study shows that residual nicotine from tobacco smoke sorbed to indoor surfaces reacts with ambient nitrous acid (HONO) to form carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs)."

AND this:

"Given the rapid sorption and persistence of high levels of nicotine on indoor surfaces?including clothing and human skin?this recently dermal exposure, dust inhalation, and ingestion. These findings raise concerns about exposures to the tobacco smoke residue that has been recently dubbed ?thirdhand smoke."

Reply to
Muggles

Not sure if he likes cubans or not. ;-)

Reply to
Muggles

That's a big problem with smoking environments.

Reply to
Muggles

Not seen was 17 irate bikers kicking the paraglider pilot to death...

Reply to
rbowman

  1. Riding in a car while my parents smoked made me sick to my stomach, sometimes, severely. I was told it was all in my head and there was no physical reason I should get sick. Now, we know that "THS reacts with nitrous oxide (for example from gas appliances or car engines) in the air creating carcinogens known as nitrosamines. When volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in THS react with ozone in the air to create formaldehyde among other chemicals."

Additionally, formaldehyde can make people sick.

  1. Secondhand smoke causes molecular changes in cells which lead to insulin resistance (simplistically, the precursor to diabetes.)"

I was exposed to high levels of secondhand and thirdhand smoke for approximately 20 years - I'm now type 2 diabetic. The information indicates there is a connection between secondhand smoke exposure and 2 illnesses I've dealt with, so yes, I believe those explanations are valid.

Reply to
Muggles

The paraglider was probably already unconscious from the impact.

Reply to
Muggles

I don't know about where you are, Ed, but hooka bars are real popular here in Big D. Don't know why or what the difference is in smoking tobacco in a hooka vs papers, but they are okay with it

Reply to
ChairMan

Have you ever read all of the statistics about the dangers of having a gun in your house? That extends to your neighbor's house in some of these studies. Other safety nazi is coming after you.

Reply to
gfretwell

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

That brings to mind butyric acid in high-school chemistry.

To punish us for being unruly, the teacher would un-cap a bottle of butyric acid.

Yeah.... perfect analogy... physically harmless to bystanders, intensely-bad smelling...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No, because it's not true. If we were allowed to have a smoking bar, a smoking restaurant, the only people risking anything are the people who choose to go there. If you were a conservative, you'd understand that, but instead, as usual, you spin, lie and deflect. That's what libs do.

It's up to each individual to pursue their life according to their wishes. Having a separate bar or restaurant for smokers doesn't infringe on your life, your rights. But YOU, with the heavy hand of govt, are infringing on smokers. You're no conservative.

Great. The problem is that you're forcing YOUR pursuit on the rest of us who have different pursuits. It's what libs do. They know what we should or shouldn't smoke, eat, drive, etc. And at the same time the limo libs fly around in Gulfstream IVs. At least they don't pretend to be conservatives.

Reply to
trader_4

ults. And you want to talk about my mental health and brains? If we didn' t already know

recently

ights the

Wrong? What's wrong? I told you flat out I didn't need to even do a study to know that you'd get tobacco byproducts in a closed car. Good grief.

cently

"These findings raise concerns about exposures to the tobacco smoke residue "

Obviously you don't get around much. I gave you a cite where they list the top 10 cancer causing substances found in our homes. Shampoo, hot dogs , etc are on the list. I can find you endless studies that "raise concerns" . Based on that we should ban hot dogs, shampoo, coffee, and half the things in our homes. BTW, how the hell does that tobacco residue get to you when it's in a private restaurant or bar if you don't go in the place? Answer, it doesn't.

Reply to
trader_4

Listening to you, they were probably sick to their stomachs too.

BS. Again, you need some grounding in basic science and logic. That study you cited shows nothing of the kind. You really are the idiot.

Reply to
trader_4

+1

Her standards of proof is to find one study about anything that says something like "this suggests cause possible concerns" and BINGO, that's all we need, one study like that. Based on that hot dogs, sugar, shampoo, almost everything should be banned. My God think of the children eating those hot dogs at a baseball game!

Reply to
trader_4

...let's talk about deflection...like using the "you libs" term for not being able to think for yourself and stick to the talking points.

Reply to
bob_villain

Separate issues.

Reply to
Muggles

The point is restaurant owners don't want to limit their clientele. It's fiscally stupid to do so. A smoke free environment doesn't prevent smokers from dining because the environment makes them sick. OTOH, a smoking environment prevents non-smokers from dining because the environment is toxic to them.

A non-smoking environment is more profitable AND healthy for all who might attend.

[...]

On the contrary - I'm a advocate for healthy air. Everyone should do likewise because we all breath air. It's a health issue - not a political issue. I can be a conservative and still promote breathable air in public venues. Conservatives tend to look at the entire picture vs. such a narrow viewpoint as you keep preaching.

Contrary to your ideology, the Constitution actually states that we have a right to "pursue LIFE", and that's what I'm doing.

OTOH, you're promoting the idea that people are free to spread toxic waste because you feel it's their right to practice such a freedom.

That mindset is simply nuts. You'd rather people spread toxic waste in the name of freedom vs. promote healthy air in the name of pursuing LIFE.

No ... that's what people who want to pursue LIFE do. It's a health issue - not a political issue.

[...]
Reply to
Muggles