fool proof method for staining maple

sand with 180 grit sand paper wet the wood with a damp rag (raise wood) let dry completely
stain with desired color seal with clear coat sealer
sand with 320 grit sand paper apply 2nd clear coat
sand with 320 grit sand paper apply 3rd clear coat
if you don't raise the grain first, before staining, the maple will look blotchy. by raising the grain, the maple absorbs the stain like an end grain more evenly.
--
Information is free
Everything else........................I charge.

WATER????

Yes, water. Often done to raise the grain, especially when a water based finish is going to be used.

Personally, if the piece is at all important to me, I'll use a cabinet- scraper, eliminating anything to raise. Snips the little surface micro-fibers clean at the base.
Sanding is fine for "rough-stuff"- utility pieces.

Personally, if the piece is at all important to me, I'll use a cabinet- scraper, eliminating anything to raise. Snips the little surface micro-fibers clean at the base.
Sanding is fine for "rough-stuff"- utility pieces.

Personally, if the piece is at all important to me, I'll use a cabinet- scraper, eliminating anything to raise. Snips the little surface micro-fibers clean at the base.
Sanding is fine for "rough-stuff"- utility pieces.
wrote: | > fool proof method for staining maple | > | > sand with 180 grit sand paper | > wet the wood with a damp rag (raise wood) | > let dry completely | > | > stain with desired color | > seal with clear coat sealer | > | > sand with 320 grit sand paper | > apply 2nd clear coat | > | > sand with 320 grit sand paper | > apply 3rd clear coat | > | > if you don't raise the grain first, before staining, | > the maple will look blotchy. | > by raising the grain, the maple absorbs the stain like an end grain more | > evenly. | > | > -- | > Information is free | > Everything else........................I charge. | > visa / mc / amex / discover / all store cards / debit cards....etc. | > priceless. |
| Personally, if the piece is at all important to me, I'll use a | cabinet- | scraper, eliminating anything to raise. Snips the little surface | micro-fibers clean at the base.
scrape before staining.........................NEVER. if the grain is not raised before staining it will NOT absorb stain uniformly.
| | Sanding is fine for "rough-stuff"- utility pieces.
are you kiddin me? furniture is sanded
| | J |

Why not use bennite first and then stain?
wrote: | > | > fool proof method for staining maple | > | > | > | > sand with 180 grit sand paper | > | > wet the wood with a damp rag (raise wood) | > | > let dry completely | > | > | > | > stain with desired color> | | Why not use bennite first and then stain?
that might work that is what I use on my gun stocks but never tried it on cabinets. I'll let you know how it turns out. | |
chenm13 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/fool-proof-method-for-staining-maple-208457-.htm : I am having a new maple floor installed. Not knowing the maple cannot be stained before hand, I am very happy and thankful to find the solution suggested. I live in Chicago area. Do any of you happens to know any one who has perfected the skill in Chicago area? I just don't trust my contractor to do the staining job, which would be a first for him.
Thanks, Mike

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 347992 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
"chenm13" wrote:

If you are going to bother to respond to SPAM, the least you could do is to remove the link to the SPAMMERS website.
Of course, you're probably a shill for the SPAMMER anyway, and likely don't give a shit, in which case FOAD.
Jon
Jon,
You're obviously not be the brightest bulb on the tree. It is very unlikely that chenm13 is a shill for 3G. 3G's original post and all other replies are 2 years old.
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:31:20 -0700, "Jon Danniken"