FOLLOWUP -- GE Profile washer not working [FIXED]

I fixed this GE profile. The problem was that the air line leading to the pressure sensor (FULL/EMPTY sensor) was obstructed by debris. I removed debris and the machine is now doing its second load after the "repair". Arriving to the conclusion of what could be wrong, took some time and the script reading personnel of 1-800-GE-CARES was utterly unhelpful.

Reply to
Ignoramus19266

Congrats on your diagnostic and repair skills Iggy.

It reminded me of my similar recent "simple" appliance fix.

It's been an unusually cold winter here in Red Sox Nation and last week when SWMBO started the dishwasher all I heard was the pump motor running, but no sounds of filling or sloshing water. Opened the dishwasher's door and there was no water in it.

I said, "Oh s**te, the supply line is frozen." The dishwasher supply line is the only plumbing located in an unheated part of our home. The last six feet of it runs along the garage ceiling under the kitchen, and the thermometer in the garage was reading 26 F.

So, I wasted half an hour playing a heat gun on that piece of pipe until all of it felt well above freezing.

Back to the dishwasher and still no water sounds when it was turned on.

Pulling the lower front panel and metering across the solenoid fill valve terminals showed no power going to it when it should be, hence no water fill.

It turned out to be as simple a problem as yours, Iggy. The water level float which opens the circuit to the solenoid fill valve when the dishwasher is filled to the proper level, was gummed up and hadn't dropped back down the last time the water got pumped out of the dishwasher.

A quick cleaning of the float and the column it slides on corrected the problem. The gunk I washed off felt like it was probably thickened detergent.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia wrote in news:gnpb6a$e0$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.motzarella.org:

On a related note, again, we have a fancy-schmanzy GE microwave over the stove (Profile Spacemaker) complete with exhaust fumehood/fan. The expletive deleted handle broke off, and we paid Sears (don't ask) some $200 to replace it. A few weeks later it broke again, and because of the holidays and the delayed shipment of parts, I decided to fix the handle with Gorilla glue, left over from a woodworking project involving many rare-earth magnets. When the repair guy came to replace the door for a final repair, he said that a needed part was not shipped with the other replacement parts. So spouse said to forget the repair, take the shipped parts, and leave the repair as I had performed it. Too bad I hadn't thought of buying a $5 bottle of Gorilla glue when the handle first broke ...

Reply to
Han

You know, they should have some redundant sensor, at least for the FULL condition, as a washer could completely flood the house under these conditions.

Reply to
Ignoramus25439

They have drain pans that you put under the washer for that.

Reply to
Pete C.